Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Do you shave your legs?
Yes 3 20.00%
No 12 80.00%
I use some other hair removal method. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Do you shave your legs?

I'm just wondering what percentage of hypermilers shave their legs. (I do, but not exactly for hypermiling.)

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-08-2009, 05:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Interested Newbie

Silver Citroen Saxo - '02 Citroen Saxo 1.4i Furio
Kind of an odd question, though i do remember someone a few years back calculating that it's costs an extra £5-6 year in fuel (assuming 10000 miles a year) to have a moustache based on the weight of the hair.

No i don't shave my legs, but i do keep other body hair trimmed because of my eczema.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
Kind of an odd question, though i do remember someone a few years back calculating that it's costs an extra £5-6 year in fuel (assuming 10000 miles a year) to have a moustache based on the weight of the hair.

No i don't shave my legs, but i do keep other body hair trimmed because of my eczema.
It's more of the thermodynamic effects than the weight. Of course, it's significant in Texas. Texas A&M's best hypermiler (Jennie Chen) shaves her legs.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 02-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
but hair is both an insulator and a wick for sweat so in the winter it helps keep you warmer and summer helps keep you cooler, if you wanted to save weight you would drive naked.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Sorry, just free-associating here
Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
amateur mech. engineer

Sporty Accord - '88 Honda Accord LX-i
90 day: 23.25 mpg (US)

Dad's Camry - '01 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 22.81 mpg (US)

Artie's Camry - '98 Toyota Camry
90 day: 37.3 mpg (US)
No, I think hair is good to keep a little warmer. I noticed that I get more hair in places where I wear less clothing. For example, there is a lot more hair above the top of my socks than below. The body seems to know when it is a good idea to make more insulation. If we tried to live without clothing, we would probably get a lot hairier. Unfortunately, we have laws restricting our freedom in that area but some other places are much more restrictive. In New York I remember hearing that it was decided that women would be allowed to go shirtless because it would be sex discrimination to require women to have different clothing from men. I heard that the authorities would suggest to topless women at the beach that they cover themselves more but they would not be allowed to make an arrest. For more on this you could take a look here:

Parks Dept. Weighs Beaches With Areas for Topless Women - New York Times

To me it seems strange that many women spend so much time and money trying to modify their bodies by shaving and putting on makeup. Many of them have acceptable bodies without modifications. Maybe some will quit that because of the recession. It's more important to eat than to look glamourous.

I think some bicycle racers and swimmers shave hair to reduce drag. It probably makes a slight difference, like cleaning the dirt off your car.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I do for bike racing
Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I trimmed my pubes once, I think it makes you look bigger.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
I noticed that I get more hair in places where I wear less clothing. For example, there is a lot more hair above the top of my socks than below. The body seems to know when it is a good idea to make more insulation. If we tried to live without clothing, we would probably get a lot hairier.
I've noticed that during the colder months I start having bald patches on the outerside of my calves and on my thighs. That's not because those places are so much warmer in long pants, it's because those long jeans keep rubbing those places when I walk. And I like to walk a lot, even if I can take a bus. By midsummer those patches are hairy again.
Quote:
Unfortunately, we have laws restricting our freedom in that area but some other places are much more restrictive. In New York I remember hearing that it was decided that women would be allowed to go shirtless because it would be sex discrimination to require women to have different clothing from men.
Requiring both sexes (and the rest) to have shirts is the common way to avoid discrimination.
Quote:
To me it seems strange that many women spend so much time and money trying to modify their bodies by shaving and putting on makeup. Many of them have acceptable bodies without modifications.
I couldn't agree more. Most people are beautiful as they are, but a lot of them don't seem to know/accept it. For me makeup is a waste of time/money/resources.

Back to the poll: I don't shave my legs, as I've never had a need to. I swim and bike a lot, but not at a competetive level. Plus the time I'd waste shaving I'd rather spend biking or running with the dog. I do shave my armpits though.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 02-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
cheap yet balla

buster - '97 JEEP Grand Cherokee LTD
Send a message via AIM to energy0uth
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflame View Post
I trimmed my pubes once, I think it makes you look bigger.
ahahahaha

Reply  Post New Thread