Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Do you speed up so you can use P&G?

I was driving home earlier from dropping my wife off at school when I came to my favorite strip of 35mph road (no stops). There was another car behind me, but when the speed limit changed from 25 to 35, he seemed content to put along at ~30. I did P&G between ~30 and ~37 to put a bit of distance between us, so as not to annoy him.

In these situations, do you guys add a few mph so you can P&G, or do you maintain a lower speed if drivers behind you permit it?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Piglet - '95 Hyundai Excel (Accent) Sprint
90 day: 39.85 mpg (US)
Depends on how many lanes there are. For example:

-the freeway here has a maximum speed of 60, and a minimum speed of 50. So, I sit in the left lane and P&G between those two speeds for an average of 55 mph. There is ample room for people to overtake so I don't sweat driving under the limit.

-On a one or two lane road, it gets a little trickier. If the limit is say 30, I'll P&G between 27 and 33 because those are the variations in speed that motorists tend to have anyway. If the person behind is particularly impatient I will just P&G between 30 and 33, if conditions permit.

It is a tough one, I hate being 'that guy' but if you are courteous enough I don't see it being a problem.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel View Post
-On a one or two lane road, it gets a little trickier.
Wouldn't be so tricky if you guys would just drive on the proper side.

When I have someone behind me, I will either P&G at a sufficient speed to stay well ahead or if I'm wedged in between traffic, I just give in and drive like a normal person. I just don't see much of an advantage in a 3 mph P&G range.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I don't generally try to aggravate other drivers. If they drive a certain speed then I might P&G at a higher average speed. If they want to climb up my arse no matter what speed I am driving, I might coast down to half the speed limit until they get the message.

The other day I was riding my bike down the last 4 miles stretch of 55 MPH road to my neighborhood. Looked back and not another car for two miles behind me. I dropped down to 45 on the bike and enjoyed 85 + MPG. Wasn't in any hurry to get home anyway.

regards
Mech
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
If someone comes up on me on a multi-lane road, as Wheel of Steel said, they can pass as they see fit.

On single lane roads, I usually find a place to pull over for the faster vehicle to pass safely.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
On a multilane road I try to keep people from passing me too quickly. On smaller roads I'll have my pulses go to about 5 over PSL and limit my glide to just a couple below. I'll pick it up if the line builds up rather than pull over, but if it's just a couple then they can pass or wiat as they see fit. People farther back in line don't have that choice, and I don't liike to let them get victimized by the first two idiots behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread