Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BB - '07 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
90 day: 19.69 mpg (US)
Dodge Ram Results Requested

OK, I've tightened the nut behind the wheel, and am running ethanol free fuel.

My truck is mostly highway, so I'm thinking aero next. Air dam or tonneau. What I'm looking for is data on expected gains.

I know that different trucks respond, well differently. If anybody has any info on 3rd generation Rams (2002-2008), I'd appreciate it.

(Hint - Econoram, this means you, please!!)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2005 Dakota - '05 Dodge Dakota SLT
90 day: 15.26 mpg (US)
I have a Dakota, but I am pretty sure that if the air clears your tailgate at highway speeds then a tonneau won't do you a whole lotta good. You can check this with tuft testing, even though you'll look kinda dumb.

If I recall, there were a bunch of tests done and linked up here previously, and the best cover is a hard fiberglass one that is smooth and painted. Next was a smooth topped soft that is as flush with the sides as possible.

My truck only has the 5 foot bed, not the 6 foot, so in my tuft testing, I had found that the air starts clearing my cover at speeds above 55 mph, so ANYTHING on the highway totally clears my truck... dunno what to do about that really, but I need the cover to lock up my tools for work.

As for the air dam, you can make it go down to the lowest part of your suspension. I believe the Rams are set up similar to my truck where your front crossmember sits lower than your front bumper. All you need to do is match that.

Next thing you could do is a grill block. I'm still designing mine, but hopefully I get good results.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Project ECONORAM begins producing results

Mosby, a little update for you. I own a 2007 1500 with 4.7FlexFuel. I have made several mods to my truck, some to my wife's chagrin. So far I have installed a partial front grill block, partial belly panel kit, wheel covers, and front wheel well fairings. I am on version 2.1 of my belly panel kit and wheel covers. The belly panel kit is my homebrew combo of RTV coated plywood, aluminum sheet, and fiber reinforced vinyl. For the wheel areas I now use unpainted black corrogated plastic, attached with parachute (550) cord laced around the wheel spokes. I previously tried using self-adhesive velcro strips, but I kept losing a wheel cover when I went over 65 mph. These stayed on at 85 mph, so I know 550 cord works... I did manage 2 tanks at just over 20mpg, while running E10. Admittedly, my truck looks more like a MadMax mobile, but I cannot deny the results. True, my 90-day stinks, but I need to quit my on-base driving so I stop getting 11mpg so much...
[edit] added a picture in my albums for you to look at

Last edited by ECONORAM; 06-12-2011 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: added pic
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECONORAM For This Useful Post:
landsailor (06-16-2011), mosby (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2005 Dakota - '05 Dodge Dakota SLT
90 day: 15.26 mpg (US)
Yeah, these engines aren't torque heavy enough for what the trucks weigh.
My dakota is lighter than a ram, and I get about 15 city, but like 20 highway.
The 4.7 motor is my next thing to tackle myself. I'm hopeing to start with an electric fan, but I really need to make sure it works because we have a lot of 90+ degree days and on some of those, i'll be towing a 27' camper. Definatly no grill blocks during that!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
On the electric fan just make sure it flows decent, 2500cfm+. Once you are moving the fan becomes pointless anyways.

Many of the offroaders here swear by the fans out of Ford Tauruses, on low they flow about 2500cfm, on high it makes a good leaf blower. Even in 100F+ weather they rarely switch to high even when crawling through rocks.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
TheEnemy is right; I have a Zirgo 2700+ Efan, and have used it for a couple years. I found it is best to mount it partway in the shroud, instead of mounting it right on the radiator. The shroud helps it pull more air through.
Blu3Z3, you might try a set of HO cams. I have a set but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. That and a new Ypipe, and maybe a different muffler.

Reply  Post New Thread