Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The wife drove my car two times in 10 years. Once when I picked my motorcycle up after driving my car home from my buddies shop where it was rebuilt. The second time was when she wrecked her Rogue and she drove my Insight while the Rogue was being repaired. Her first accident in 25 years.

She averages 29 MPG in the Rogue which is rated at 24 combined. My Altima Coupe is the same engine and transmission as the Rouge but she prefers the visibility of the small SUV.

That puts her average at about 20% over EPA combined on her car.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
My wife got her license a year ago and hardly ever drives. She only drives when we're going somewhere together (not too often, maybe once a month), and usually only one way. She's also eco-minded and law abiding, so no fireworks. She never drives alone because she says the car is too big and powerful for her (she learned to drive on a Yaris with a tiny engine), and I allow her to concentrate on basic driving skills instead of telling her when to use what advanced hypermiling method. I do tell when not to accelerate because the 2nd or 3rd light down the road just turned red (beginning drivers only pay attention to a traffic light if it's less than a few car lengths away, many never grow out of that). On a few occasions I've coached her where she can safely coast. No P&G (engine on), just steady driving, which shows up in quicker engine warm up.

But she's learning, and sometimes engine brakes, oftem throws in 5th gear around 55km/h instead of 70-80 like most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukiSteve View Post
... but now she has discovered how much fun the kill switch is. lol.
lol

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 11-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
The only other people who drive my Mustang are the service personnel at the local Ford dealership. They don't affect my average FE all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
I try very hard not to let other people drive my Jeep. Partly because it's very easy to get horrible mpg in it (9 - 11 city is reasonable for a typical, inefficient driver, and highway tanks at higher speeds), so they destroy my average. Plus, it's got enough power to get sideways on dry pavement in 2wd, so I place limited trust in some people's ability to drive it without killing themselves.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Reply  Post New Thread