Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail
 
Cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 2,735
Thanked 976 Times in 584 Posts
Question Does anyone know the Cd on a 1975 Monza fastback ?



This body style is pretty swoopy, but has a terrible undercarriage. With a proper airdam, I can image this car being quite slick.



The overall shape is close to that of the .201 Cd Camaro that Hot Rod tested.
Stock, that car was something like .475 ..or higher. I can't recall the exact number.
A simple plate flat airdam, a blocked off grille, and a simple spoiler were all that was needed to bring the Cd down to .201.
That is truly a 'diamond in the rough' as far as a design goes.

I know there are a few guys that run this car at Bonneville. I was just curious if any of you have considered adding a more modern engine into something like this design if the Cd could be brought down to under point 20.
( A Honda VX engine in a Monza ? Sacrilegious I tell you ...sacrilegious !! )

Not really worth the effort due to weight I suppose. It's also not front wheel drive, so scratch the front wheel drive idea. And the car does not have a modern crush zone / airbag etc.

Just a daydream.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 10-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 24,307
Thanks: 6,856
Thanked 7,727 Times in 6,317 Posts
Don't know. I guess you talked yourself into and back out of the idea in one post.

I liked those when they came out. It was that swoopy beltline.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
...beats walking...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,190
Thanks: 179
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
This website "estimates" Cd = 0.46:

chevrolet monza hatchback

...while these websites "estimate" it as Cd = 0.4:

http://h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/hbodyfaq-6.html#6.7

http://www.v8monza.com/drawing.htm

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php

Last edited by gone-ot; 10-02-2015 at 11:58 PM..
  Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-03-2015), BamZipPow (10-04-2015), Cd (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 14,895
Thanks: 23,025
Thanked 6,801 Times in 4,325 Posts
Monza

I thought that I might have that but I'll have to look at home.I don't think it's very low.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (10-04-2015), Cd (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 14,895
Thanks: 23,025
Thanked 6,801 Times in 4,325 Posts
all that was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post


This body style is pretty swoopy, but has a terrible undercarriage. With a proper airdam, I can image this car being quite slick.



The overall shape is close to that of the .201 Cd Camaro that Hot Rod tested.
Stock, that car was something like .475 ..or higher. I can't recall the exact number.
A simple plate flat airdam, a blocked off grille, and a simple spoiler were all that was needed to bring the Cd down to .201.
That is truly a 'diamond in the rough' as far as a design goes.

I know there are a few guys that run this car at Bonneville. I was just curious if any of you have considered adding a more modern engine into something like this design if the Cd could be brought down to under point 20.
( A Honda VX engine in a Monza ? Sacrilegious I tell you ...sacrilegious !! )

Not really worth the effort due to weight I suppose. It's also not front wheel drive, so scratch the front wheel drive idea. And the car does not have a modern crush zone / airbag etc.

Just a daydream.
The Camaro also had a full,aluminum belly pan,mirror delete,wiper delete,MOONs,and was lowered to the rule book minimum.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/

Last edited by aerohead; 10-03-2015 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: add data
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (10-04-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,568

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanks: 267
Thanked 1,138 Times in 777 Posts
They are popular to cut up and make drag cars out of. My friend did one 16 years ago in Oakland with a full tube cage, tubbed and narrowed rear, and a nasty stroked 400 small block that I think ended up being a 434 ci. I personally thought it was ulgy compared to doing the same thing to a 63 Nova or something. His looked a lot like this one.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail
 
Cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 2,735
Thanked 976 Times in 584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The Camaro also had a full,aluminum belly pan,mirror delete,wiper delete,MOONs,and was lowered to the rule book minimum.
At the time of the testing, there was no belly pan. It was added later for El Mirage.
Wiper delete ...does that even show in testing ?
( They had that huge scoop and it tested out identical to that of a stock flat hood.)

And I can add a belly pan, add MOON wheels , delete my mirrors and wipers, lower my car, and still end up shaving only three or four counts off of my cars Cd.

With only minor mods, they reduced the drag over 50 % on that car.
The 1980 Camaro just seems to be a great design with lots of potential.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 14,895
Thanks: 23,025
Thanked 6,801 Times in 4,325 Posts
HOT ROD Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
At the time of the testing, there was no belly pan. It was added later for El Mirage.
Wiper delete ...does that even show in testing ?
( They had that huge scoop and it tested out identical to that of a stock flat hood.)

And I can add a belly pan, add MOON wheels , delete my mirrors and wipers, lower my car, and still end up shaving only three or four counts off of my cars Cd.

With only minor mods, they reduced the drag over 50 % on that car.
The 1980 Camaro just seems to be a great design with lots of potential.
Cd 0.2 is nothin' to sneeze at,so we've got to tip our hat to the HRM team.
I don't have the Camaro,but here's the matching Firebird which shares major achitechture

Here's the HRM Camaro

The RRM car has:
*dropped-nose (undersized tires)
*Extended nose
*100% grille-block
*Full-depth,wraparound airdam
*MOONs
*Raised tail/deck(oversized tires)
*Reduced rear wheelhouse volume (Goodyears)
*Goodyear racing slicks (treadless low windage)
*Relaxed angle,low-drag rear spoiler
*Repositioned mounting position,extended rear spoiler
*Drag chute (partial near wake stuffing)
*Entire forebody upper surface 'attack' area is extended
*Backlight angle is relaxed a few degrees,reduced separation
*Overall modified body inclination
*Overall modified,extended fineness ratio
*If bright metal window trim had been removed,interference drag would also be reduced
There's a lot going on here.
FoMoCo did some of the same tricks for their Hydrogen Fusion

__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com