Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #111 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Spelling isn't a problem for me, I just copy and paste into the search box and the corrected spelling appears in the dropdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
sto·chas·tic (stəˈkastik/)
adjective: stochastic

randomly determined; having a random probability distribution or pattern that may be analyzed statistically but may not be predicted precisely.
I just picked a word at random.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #112 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
FSM will have trans shift points charted.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #113 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The pig - '99 Dodge Ram 3500 Slt
90 day: 11.99 mpg (US)

The ST - '93 Honda ST1100
90 day: 38.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan View Post
Others have done it, see if your transmission has one tcc solenoid for torque converter lockup, if so, figure out a way to manually control it!
If I remember right. Its the orange with blue tracer or something like that. What i dont remember is if you can just splice off and a switch to ground or positive. Im 90% sure its splice to ground. I wonder what the pcm would think of that.

-Every other forum i tried to state my intents...

Total spent on mods. :$440($200 was oil. So take it or leave it)
Total returned from 10mpg baseline :$167
miles since i started ecomodding :3315 miles

Old 03-15-2017, 01:49 AM   #114 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
About 10 years ago there were some rumors about either Mercedes-Benz or GM being in a hurry to release an engine with that feature, which had been evaluated by GM using some Opel Insignia and Saab 9-3 test mules and was featured in the Mercedes-Benz F700 concept. GM claimed that it could run without the spark plugs at all, but they provided a smoothier and quicker cold-start ability. Anyway, I wonder how such engines would perform with ethanol or gaseous fuels such as biomethane.
Same concept. The problems identified at the time were the cost and complexity of the acoustic sensors needed to properly control combustion (when the mix explodes at the right time, that's combustion. When it doesn't, that's engine-killing knock!) and the narrow range they could successfully implement HCCI in.

From my talks with engineers, yes, the sensors are expensive, but the benefits of not having to run a gazillion psi in the injection system, as in diesel, means that cost overall should be lower.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:21 AM   #115 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
From my talks with engineers, yes, the sensors are expensive, but the benefits of not having to run a gazillion psi in the injection system, as in diesel, means that cost overall should be lower.
Remembering that M35 military truck with the Continental/Hercules/White LDT 465 1D multifuel engine, able to operate not just on regular Diesel but even on gasoline, it didn't have any overly-expensive sensor. Sometimes it seems like the engineers are just looking for an excuse to not release a similar technology for the civilian market in order to avoid getting in trouble with the oil sheikhs.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
gumby79 (03-15-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #116 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Remembering that M35 military truck with the Continental/Hercules/White LDT 465 1D multifuel engine, able to operate not just on regular Diesel but even on gasoline, it didn't have any overly-expensive sensor. Sometimes it seems like the engineers are just looking for an excuse to not release a similar technology for the civilian market in order to avoid getting in trouble with the oil sheikhs.
Military trucks don't have to meet incredibly intricate environmental regulations.

If you want a compression-ignition gasoline engine to meet civilian fuel economy and emissions targets, sophisticated electronics are a must.

-

If we didn't have these regulations, you could build a multi-fuel engine for very, very little money. (as you and I know from cheap propane conversions available outside the US).
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 AM   #117 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So i finally got some time to get the front springs cut up. I cut one full coil off the top and its still a touch tall up front. I was hoping a hard drive down some gravel road would settle it down some as the spring is progressive and doesnt sit in the top cup very well.

Anyways. Its maybe a thumbnail width measured off my jeans pocket taller up front. It definitely sits more level, and rides more balanced with the stiff rear (front end was like a '74 cadillac with no shocks). And also confirmed that the left front shock is worn out. Bump is gone and rebound still works, no gas pressure. The right was good and The rears were equally ok. So ill be slapping on some new shocks soon.

So i am kicking myself for not measuring before and after. The rear was fairly obvious as the block was 4.5" or 4.75". The front i would say dropped down maybe an inch.

Im hesitant to cut any more off the coils. Maybe start with a quarter off the bottom and go from there. Luckilly the spring doesnt have to sit in there any special way.

And to anybody else wanting to cut a spring. Dont try using a portaband. A grinder works way better. I also used a pressurized bottle with water to keep things cool as i cut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	21391  

The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkeysmall For This Useful Post:
101Volts (04-30-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:12 AM   #118 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Military trucks don't have to meet incredibly intricate environmental regulations.

If you want a compression-ignition gasoline engine to meet civilian fuel economy and emissions targets, sophisticated electronics are a must.

-

If we didn't have these regulations, you could build a multi-fuel engine for very, very little money. (as you and I know from cheap propane conversions available outside the US).
The point is that it wouldn't need overly-sophisticated sensors instead of going more similar to current Diesel technology.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #119 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I can't believe i forgot to mention i do have a motorcycle. Since its been warming up i got it registered again.

Took the topper off to load the bike in the back and struggled to get more than 9mpg empty and 8 with the bikes windshield poking a foot or so above the roof. The aerotopper makes a massive difference for sure.

So anyway. Removing the topper was a pain. Getting it back on was no picnic either. So, i have officially begun designing a more "user friendly" topper. At least in my head again. Im debating a tightly strung vinyl or fabric over an easily removed frame. Or the full shell out of aluminum with car hood hinges. Im diggin the shell for rigidity, and being able to handle the welder and its heat. Of which im wanting to run the exhaust down and into its own cat and muffler and dump under the truck. Ya its nice to hear when its revved up to weld out in the field, but right next to it is borderline unbearable. And would make for a cleaner exterior when the shell is closed. And obviously the shell would have to open up enough to allow good airflow to cool the welder. Ive had thoughts of tieing the welder and trucks cooling system together. Would help warm up the welder on the way to work and keep the trucks engine warm for a more efficient startup. Obviously everything would be trough thermostats. And im allready planning electric fans on the truck. I got 2 12" fans for cheap along time ago, and theyre not enough for this truck. Perhaps get one or two more and run them on individually set thermostats. So when mild cooling is required one comes on, and if thats not enough the rest will spool up.

Just some thoughts.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 PM   #120 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I can see how full throttle in a motionless vehicle might lead to cooling problems.

The old Internationals and 1940s Buicks had side opening hoods that had a single handle and two combination latch/hinges. They open from either side or lift off.

An aluminum tube frame covered with boat wrap would be as light as the steel hood.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aero cap, mpg increase, project, truck shell aerodynamic