Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Double-Decker Enginer Hybrid Pack Install

Hi everyone,

Today, I was helping install, photograph, and video a "Double-Decker" Enginer Plug-In Hybrid Kit.

This is a Prius with not one, but TWO Enginer 4K packs installed in it - One over the top of the other.

Both kits have a 3000 watt DC to DC converter that takes 48V from the Lithium battery pack and upconverts it to Prius pack voltage.

Both the Enginer kits are installed in PARALLEL to the Prius main pack. This allows HALF the power to come from each Enginer pack, thus being nicer to the individual cells OR TWICE as much power to the Prius as you would get with the typical single 4K kit.

I have plenty of photos and video of this project, however, I wasn't able to stick around to the end of the installation (long day, plus 2 hours drive on each end!) I will be working on organizing the photos the next couple days and then edit together some instructional videos.

Eric, (the installer) took a few photos of the finished project, so I will post those when I get them from him.

Look for some actual info on this project in the next couple days!

Another fun thing about this project - it will have THREE plugs in the back bumper. Each 4K kit has a 15 amp charger, so each needs its own outlet/circuit to go to, so that means TWO plugs. The third one is for a rear battery electric heater to help keep things toasty in the winter.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
enginer, phev, prius