Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Drafting a truck doesn't have to mean you're really trailing / watching that truck.
Look beyond it, and adapt your driving to the vehicles in front of the truck.

Does it work ?
Definitely, I've been able to repeat my 2.3 L/100km @ 85kph (102 mpg @ 53mph) while drafting.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Some very good points on both sides.

One of the best is the heightened awareness. In my opinion, dozing off due to the sheer boredom of freeway driving is way more dangerous than drunk driving. Tailgating a big rig keeps you sharp.

The concerns of running into a big rig that suddenly brakes is silly, IMO. 18 wheelers do not stop on a dime. Not even close. You have more reaction time following a big rig closely than you do following a porsche 911 or a motorcycle at normal distances, as each of these vehicles can out brake you.

The most valid point, against drafting is the one about smashing into something the rig was able to high center. Using a CB to communicate with your draftee is a very good idea and helps address this concern.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
The concerns of running into a big rig that suddenly brakes is silly, IMO. 18 wheelers do not stop on a dime. Not even close.
You'd be surprised how quickly they stop - even loaded.

First tests are with an empty semi. 80 kph / 50 mph
Then they load it up to 40 tons - max. load in Germany and France.

At the end of the clip, you get to see why they stop so fast.

Quote:
You have more reaction time following a big rig closely
Not really.

Quote:
than you do following a porsche 911
The 911 has formidable brakes, and will out-brake just about anything.

Quote:
or a motorcycle at normal distances, as each of these vehicles can out brake you.
It's yet another urban myth that bikes brake better than cars.
They don't.

Even if you put a seasoned racing biker at the controls, sportsbikes still get out-braked by run-of-the-mill family cars.
A local bike mag put on these tests some years ago, and were surprised themselves.

Quote:
The most valid point, against drafting is the one about smashing into something the rig was able to high center. Using a CB to communicate with your draftee is a very good idea and helps address this concern.
It won't nearly work as quickly as needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
Cd (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post

One of the best is the heightened awareness. In my opinion, dozing off due to the sheer boredom of freeway driving is way more dangerous than drunk driving. Tailgating a big rig keeps you sharp...
Maybe you can explain this. It sounds a lot like "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Maybe only the sharp drivers that draft are still alive? In that case, it's not drafting that makes you more alert, it's being more alert that saves your life. If so, I challenge you to maintain 0.5 second reaction time for more than 10 miles. I bet no one can do it, not even the drafter super-heroes.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #55 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Herman - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 28.89 mpg (US)
When I'm in the truck, tailgaters make me muy nervous, especially since a majority of rear-end accidents involving trucks have the smaller vehicle rear ending the truck.
If I'm being tailed too closely, I'll start out trying to signal them to either pass or back off, and in extreme cases, I'll just keep slowing down until they get disgusted and pass me.

I *really* don't appreciate letting someone put me in that position, as all too often, the trucker gets the blame even when the smaller vehicle is at fault, and even when that doesn't happen, the ambulance chasers know they can still bully trucking companies into a settlement in order to avoid expensive court cases.

Also... if my tire blows, it could very easily destroy a tailgater.

Also, in-re the braking distance myths... never assume that a truck will stop on a dime because it has big brakes or maybe you've seen it on TV. I've been driving these things for 20 years and can tell you: They Don't! Don't play with 'em. We're talking about human life here, and no amount of mpg gain is worth a life. Even a well-adjusted truck may have spent the day heating up the brakes in a town full of hills and traffic lights, or in mountainous terrain, and may well have very weak brakes when your life ends up depending on them. Also, don't assume that the truck *won't* brake well if you're too close behind 'em. Think Murphy's Law. The truck in front of you will have fresh, cool brakes. If you pull over in front of a truck and slow down, they'll probably be hot and weak.

Also, just for the record, I have ZERO sympathy for truckers who tailgate cars. They oughta be dragged out of their cabs and beat with a traffic cone.

Last edited by spacer; 10-17-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
I would only ever draft at the track. The risk versus reward just isn't there, imo.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #57 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I recently made a long trip in a Metro. For about 50 miles I was able to "draft" a truck against unfavorable winds. I put draft in quotes because my following distance was typical for what you'd see on urban freeways; I'd have been comfortable going in much closer but I appreciate that it ticks some truckers off. Luckily the one I was behind made no indication of being bothered. However, the next one I attempted to glom onto came to a COMPLETE STOP in the left lane. Hmmm... suppose he didn't like drafters? Funny how what is completely acceptable to one guy makes another lose his freaking mind.

Anyway, got 47.3 mpg with many segments at 67 mph, and many segments with unfavorable VERY STRONG winds.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #58 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Herman - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 28.89 mpg (US)
I guess it partially depends on how many folks one has seen pried out of their cars after they smacked into the back of a trailer. While I won't freak out or anything (that's a loss of control, bad juju when you're responsible for that much rolling metal), I won't enable irresponsible driving when it involves my truck.
I am mostly referring to those who follow closely enough that I have trouble spotting them in my mirrors. A little further back doesn't bother me nearly as much.

I have seen cases (when I was a trucking safety inspector) where a tailgater would sue a company when a blown tire damaged their car. By the way, it isn't retreads so much as any damaged tire, happens a lot on these deteriorating roadways. Biggest cause of blowouts is running at too-high or too-low pressure, and heat. That's why you see so many 'dead gators' on the side of the road in the Summer months.
I've lost tires (causing *substantial* damage to my trailer in one case... and it wasn't a retread either) before, after a perfectly good bill of health during an inspection. While a driver can do much to prevent blowouts, I still wouldn't put my tender pink body too close to those tires.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Drafting a transport truck is a great way to improve mileage. Although they get pretty pissed and tend to swerve over to the ditch to throw rocks at your car. I have 4 different broken windshields to prove it.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 AM   #60 (permalink)
EcoBus Driver

EcoBus - '09 VW Multivan SL TDI 103 KW
90 day: 42.1 mpg (US)
Hi there,

in my experience, it depends on where you do it.

On urban highways (or urban autobahn around here) nobody bothers if you have a little less distance than the law allows... there are exits every 2 km and if you try to keep your distance, you can as well stop immediately and wait until the road is empty (around 3:00 am :-))

Regarding the point about a truck high centering some road junk... here in Germany, I hear perhaps once a month about things lying on the road on the traffic radio channel, and they report each and every case... the last time I have seen something lying on the road which was big enough to damage my car must have been some years ago. IMHO this is not an issue, at least not around here. You'll rather be hit by a meteorite, and for that, you do not have to draft.

Concerning trucks braking in front of you... most truck-related crashes seem to be of the type 'truck driver rear-ended end of traffic jam' around here, so I guess I am a lot safer behind the truck than in front of it.

One additional point is that trucks going faster than the one I am tailing overtake with much less fuss as when I am driving slow on my own. Some truck drivers react severely pissed if they have to overtake a small car which is going slow (it could go faster, could'nt it?) while overtaking a colleague (even with a tail) is business as usual.

For me, it seems to work. But, as I said, it depends on a lot of factors, so it may not work out good for somebody else somewhere else with a different car etc. etc.

so long,

tinduck