Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

eco fighter - '92 honda civic hatch cx
From Drag civic to Eco fighter

First off about myself. The names lee. deisel mechanic by trade-money maker. Car builder for fun. Aircraft electrician for 8 yrs in Air Force, now going on 2 yrs as a machinist/welder. To put this out there i am not a millionaire. I just know how to find things. And/or copy and build them. been a fan of this site for a year and decided to become a member last week. Mainly because if this helps someone great. And i had a few complaints. Aerocivic-this car single handed got me on this site. But after hrs of looking at info and at the car, I feel it could have been done better. So this is my challenge. Ive built from 600hp drag civics, supras, and way to many drift 240s and corollas. I just love cars. This civic in this post makes car number 48 ive owned seen high school. Now to do something different.

The title says it all. the car started as a 92 civic cx hatch. then was later stripped and turned into a full drag car. after a couple years stripped put back together, then sold again. My buddy bought it then we built it were its at today-jdm inspired street car. We pulled the jdm type-r intgra driveline out then bought it. I bought it just for this purpose-ECO FIGHTER.

current parts

ext.: tyc headlights,new si tailights, (carbon fiber-hood, fenders, hatch, spoon wing, antenna block, fuel door).

suspension:tokico blue shocks,(skunk2-front a arms,coilovers, rear dogbones, lower control arm), energy suspension bushing, ex-disc brake converison, tons of benon braces.

brakes: arp extended studs, brembo drilled/slotted rotors,earls brake lines.

new parts for this week
complete cx driveline-engine,trans,harness. everything. u-pull-it 371.00
new antenna block-HOP 5.00
new a/c block off plate-HOP 8.19
new mirror block plate-HOP 47.00
new 5 panel wideview rear view mirror 24.59
13" steelies with tires 60.00
trans adapt oil cooler relocation kit 34.00

Future parts
chasebays wilwood master cylinder kit
braided clutch line
lexan sheets
sheet aluminum-underpanels
new headlight and tailights- waiting on front and rear end design
fiberglass, fiberglass, and more fiberglass.

now for the last piece of the puzzle. Where is this build going. well after getting the car roll and going this week. im going to start by removing alot and i mean alot of parts. All the carbon fiber is going on sell next week on craigslist-dallas. getting ready for the 4" chop, then on to the front end build, and finished off with the rear end build. All will be documented and photographed. Including prices. And at any point you see something you like. im going to make molds of most of my stuff so i would be willing to build and sell extras.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	civic 1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	8046   Click image for larger version

Name:	civic 2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	8047   Click image for larger version

Name:	civic 3 3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	8048  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2011, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MILEAGEMAX - '05 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2wd Regular Cab W/T
I'm very interested in what you come up with. With your background you will have insight in areas others here do not.

I like the Aerocivic but the metal work looks like a WWII bomber. I love to see a sleek jet fighter version of that.
I see many people using foam blocks and Coroplast (plastic corrugated board) on their cars. That’s fine if you’re building model airplanes but I can’t associate using it for auto body work.

I'm pursuing this myself as an exercise in metal forming and possibly fiberglass with an unlikely test subject; a 2005 Chevy 2500HD.

I had an everything at once approach like you do but most want to see before and after results of each modification. I have changed my priory list to begin with the mods most people are willing or able to do. That way I can provide useful data on the changes from stock truck baseline.
I’ll then progress into the 8” suspension drop, 2” body drop, bed cover and so on that may not be practical for everyone.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhound View Post
And at any point you see something you like.
I'm looking forward to it !
Good luck with the rebuild !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPVW73 View Post
I like the Aerocivic but the metal work looks like a WWII bomber. I love to see a sleek jet fighter version of that.
The fighters aren't as sleek as many think.

It often amazes me what sticks out on the skin of a Mach 2 fighter.
Hinges, ill-fitting panels, strengthening plates. Antenna mounting plates. You name it.
That's before you get anywhere near the stores pylons.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Have you looked at the F22 euromodder? They are stationed about 20 miles from where I live.

regards
Mech
Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Polymorphic Modder

2006 DaCivic Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Good luck on the build. Just curious about the 4" chop. Will headroom and visibility be compromised?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Have you looked at the F22 euromodder? They are stationed about 20 miles from where I live.
They wouldn't let me

That's a smooth bird though, needs to be smooth to keep its stealth features.
I suspect the F-35 will be similar.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Yay, another honda/JDM convert! Why not keep the carbon fiber body parts for light weighted-ness? What are your mpg goals?

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

first the 2005 hd would be a great truck to build off of. If equipped with a allison 1000. the company i work in louisiana is the only allison authorized dealer in north la. My boss is a genious on allision. He is the only person i know that allision yes the company has personnaly called him about problems. And lq is a great engine. lowering the truck will make difference in frontal area and how the air follow over and under the truck, and the wheel arches. The reason for removing the carbon fiber- if its not a very high quality company like mugen or spoon 9 times out of 10 the bodylines will not match up. And that drives me nuts! I am going to hold on to the hood but thats it. And plus i love working on cars carbon fiber fenders are a pain in the ass to work with when in the engine bay. Cause you more worried about cracking them than doing your job. The roof clearance issue. Im 6'2" 145lbs yeah im a little guy. i took some measurements the other day i have in a comfortable position able 3 to for 4 inches of clearance above me head with a stock and rails. that is all going to change. im plan on cutting out the seat rails on the floor. and use aftermarket rails mounted to the floor with a reclinable racing seat. i Lena back anyway i my seat no seating straight up. visiblablity should be ok. Everybody needs to go to jhpusa.com and look at the 5 panel rearview mirror. for 24.00. a civic on base has on already and it look great. Two words where this is going Oldsmobile Aerotech
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1012_27_z+1992_oldsmobile_aerotech_concept+ed_welburn_at_speed2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	8052   Click image for larger version

Name:	1992_Oldsmobile_Aerotech_Concept_at_speed_01.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	8053   Click image for larger version

Name:	1986-oldsmobile-aerotech.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	8054  
Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

mpg goals. you know you hope for the highest but you have to be realistic. well the drive for this car is 88miles one way 80% interstate and 20% 55mph highway. this car will only be drove on that path 5 days a week. And it will not be hauling around the kids or for groceries. Nothing else just one path twice a day. thats what will make a great benchmark for testing. i have currently have 2004 tahoe, 2003 c4500 kodiak crewcab-show truck, 3 1994-1997 honda accord one is a showcar, and i 1994 chevy dually. So i drive others for non work use. back to mpg if could get 70's on interstate 65mph that would be bad@ss. but i dont think that is possible. but i will push this car to the limit! I really hope that something out of this will help someone else. I love honda but i am so disappionted that they havent built a car that gets more than 40mpg since 96. ANd i love chevy. Forgot to say that the c4500 is getting equipped with a 98 cummins 12 valve. thats is going to be a awesome build. The First and only cummins powered c4500
Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
I will be watching. I am very interested in a car that can get high mpg's at normal highway speeds. The Oldsmobile concept looks great.

I am curious if you know of other people that are interested in the eco-fighter concept, is eco=fighter going to be the next thing after drifters and drag cars? What I really want to know, will I suddenly change from ultranerd to ultracool?