Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

VW GOLF - '96 Volkwagen Golf MK3 GL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 50.21 mpg (US)

Commute scoot - '95 Suzuki AE50 Style
Last 3: 70.4 mpg (US)

The German - '99 Mercedes W202 C200 Classic
90 day: 27.65 mpg (US)
Biodiesel UK test VW Golf - MPG results pending

Hi there Ecomodders,

I have taken the plunge and filled my Golf with the B100 biostuff. I had a bit of Dino left in the tank so it's running at around a B70 - B80 mix.

I have heard that I will experience less MPG but the Bio D is much cheaper and from a local recycler.

Because I live in London UK, there are tons of little Bio D producers serving the Black Cab market.

Just for comparison purposes; Dino Diesel is about £1.12 - £1.17 per litre ($1.84 - $1.92 in US dollars based on current 1.6445 to 1 exchange rate)

B100 Biodiesel is £0.90 ($1.48) per litre.

I am hoping to see around the same fuel economy, my Golf had a slightly sticking brake that I just fixed (brand new VAG caliper - ouch).

I will update you with the results.

Also for those who are interested I am running an "AAZ" engine (1.9L turbo) it's the most thirsty (and underpowered) diesel that came in this model. It is however IDI (indirect injection) and compared with later TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) units, much more compatible with Bio D and SVO (Straight Veg Oil).

Will you recoup money spent on mods in fuel saved? see my spreadsheets here
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Hi there, quick update. According to my (very rough) calculations using my fuel guage (no OBDII in my car) I'm getting 48.04 UK MPG from the Bio (39.9 US MPG). Which is about the same as usual.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fuel Efficiency Spreadsheet

Hi sallen,
Thanks for the fuel efficiency .xls, I was looking for this exactly. The one titled US still references UK inside it - do you have one for US?

Also, I don't yet understand how to use it. What would I place in the A vs B columns? What is a "mod" [if that means a modification I've done, then would I enter 0 if I've done none?]? And what goes into the % mpg gained column?

Thanks again,
A Peace
Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Aero Apprentice

sallen
Please be aware that the biodiesel is likely to have a solvent effect on any built up gunk in your fuel system and could plug up your fuel filter in a very short period of time. If you intend to continue to run B100 you should keep a spare fuel filter in the car just incase you need to change it due to excessive fuel restriction. I have personally dealt with this myself on a friends vehicle and as soon as he switched form dino to bio he made around 2-3000KM and then his filter plugged up on him. After about three filter replacements he was okay. Hope this helps.
Swede
2009 GMC Sierra 27us/mpg best yet (still workin on it)
Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallen View Post
Hi there Ecomodders,

I have taken the plunge and filled my Golf with the B100 biostuff. I had a bit of Dino left in the tank so it's running at around a B70 - B80 mix.

I have heard that I will experience less MPG but the Bio D is much cheaper and from a local recycler.

Because I live in London UK, there are tons of little Bio D producers serving the Black Cab market.

Just for comparison purposes; Dino Diesel is about £1.12 - £1.17 per litre ($1.84 - $1.92 in US dollars based on current 1.6445 to 1 exchange rate)

B100 Biodiesel is £0.90 ($1.48) per litre.

I am hoping to see around the same fuel economy, my Golf had a slightly sticking brake that I just fixed (brand new VAG caliper - ouch).

I will update you with the results.

Also for those who are interested I am running an "AAZ" engine (1.9L turbo) it's the most thirsty (and underpowered) diesel that came in this model. It is however IDI (indirect injection) and compared with later TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) units, much more compatible with Bio D and SVO (Straight Veg Oil).
I used to have that one also but I already put that one into retirement. Just can't bear it's exhaustive performance.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TEAM VW AUDI Group

@AlanaPeace thanks for letting me know, I have amended the sheet to read US, It was just a typo so the formulae should be fine.

I'm not sure you are using the sheet right. The idea is that you change the figures on line 14 to reflect your personal cost of gas/yearly milage etc. Then you put in the gain you expect from a future modification and how much $ it will cost. The sheet will then calculate how long it will take to recoup that $ in fuel saved.

@Swede, you are right... I have a fuel filter in my glovebox and I'm waiting for a splutter any time now!

@Automd you are right about the car it has got to be one of the worst Golf variants ever produced. The performance is dismal - it is by far the slowest car on the road around my area, 0-60mph is something stupid like nearly 20 seconds and the gearing is short so it is revving it's nuts off at 75mph. Hopefully when it dies I will upgrade to more modern technology, it makes a good runabout in the meantime though.

On the Bio D front it appears that my sticky brake (using Dino) has negated any bio MPG loss. I will let you all know if I switch back to Dino and see an MPG gain.

Steve

Reply  Post New Thread