Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #81 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Sounds like straw-grasping. There aren't very many people on the road at 1 am.
Of course it is. I'm just speculating on how an insurance company plays with statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
By that logic, then statistically speaking, it should not really matter where the accident occurs as all roadways would have an equal chance of hosting an accident. Yet, it's been shown that the vast majority of accidents tend to happen within 10 miles of one's house.
Not necessarily. Lots of people drive excessive miles for many reasons and do not get far from home. It seems like a no-brainer to me, more time on the road, more chance to bump something.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #82 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Not necessarily. Lots of people drive excessive miles for many reasons and do not get far from home.
"Excessive" miles is not the issue with regard to that finding. It is rather suggested that people tend to get more complacent as they get closer to their house. Progressive Insurance found that 77% of their policyholders had an accident within 15 miles of their house, and 51% were within 5 miles of their home. Furthermore, the NTHSA found that about 80% of accidents were caused mainly by distracted or inattentive driving of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
It seems like a no-brainer to me, more time on the road, more chance to bump something.
By that logic, I should have "bumped something" when I completed a round trip through the US, or when I drove from Italy to Hungary and back, or when I drive between Germany and France through Belgium, or even now on my 59 mile daily commute.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I would also speculate that 77% of the average persons driving is within 15 miles of home so 77% of accidents happening in that area doesn't surpise me a bit.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #84 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...you really can't get very *far* from home when you're limited to less than 12,000 miles/year as the Insurance Companies want.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #85 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
some redistribution is necessary, unless your position is that you cannot drive unless you are wealthy.
The minimum liability insurance in most states is around $50,000. Even if you were to assume causing a serious accident that was completely chargeable to you, on most policies the total coverage is less than $100,000.

Is that your idea of wealth?

The irony of it is that even if you are wealthy and capable of being "self-insured" by having assets to cover any eventuality, the government still forces you to buy a policy that results in your having to pay a stiff yearly premium. As I said, if you never have a chargeable accident this amounts to paying for those who do cause accidents, with the insurance company also taking its cut for writing the policies. It is money spent for which you received absolutely nothing in return.

As you mentioned, there are people who are driving without insurance which is even more galling: those who obey the law are penalized by having to pay for insurance, and those who don't have insurance, get away with it.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #86 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Yes, if I had to amass $100k before I could drive a scooter, I would say I would need to be pretty wealthy first to be making that a priority. Insurance (re)distributes costs, period.

If we want some iota of personal responsibility without making everyone put a large escrow fund together before getting in a car, then it is manditory insurance for drivers. If they don't have such a fund or insurance then there is no guarantee of coverage, blood from a turnip.

My main complaint is that it is not enforced, that and anyone with a pulse can get a license. And of course insurance companies make a shload of money, but I'm sure you don't want the gubment to handle the money.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

As a hypermiler without the kill switch, you'd actually be helped somewhat with a monitor system. I mean, there's no hard braking (an accelerometer would otherwise record and demarcate you for that) and you would follow posted speed limits to a T. Progressive, though, is always a bit crappy as an insurance company, anyway. It would be my last choice for reliable coverage.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #88 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
My main complaint is that it is not enforced, that and anyone with a pulse can get a license.
Ohio driver's license, anyone?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #89 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofreak View Post
As a hypermiler without the kill switch, you'd actually be helped somewhat with a monitor system. I mean, there's no hard braking
Actually hard braking is an efficient tactic in certain, not uncommon, situations as I was trying to explain earlier. Obviously not braking at all is best, but if you need to time an obstruction, you can conserve energy by braking early and quickly.

Quote:
you would follow posted speed limits to a T.
Not a hallmark of hypermiling imho.

Quote:
Progressive ...It would be my last choice for reliable coverage.
Worth repeating
Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #90 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Progressive ...It would be my last choice for reliable coverage.
Why dat?

They take your money; they give you the cab card that makes the cops happy. If you never make a claim (me) then what else do you want?

Reply  Post New Thread