Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Does anyone keep a detailed log of their automobile driving?

Information on where you are going, why you are going there, what your odometer reads?

I have heard that a good way to go on a diet is just to write down what you eat every day. Don't judge what you eat or make any changes - just write it all down. The What, Where, and When.

By paying attention to what you eat and recording it makes you think about your future actions a whole lot more.

I would think the exact same thing would work for driving. Ofter we make un-needed trips, but they are just so easy and convenient, why not? Or we may take a route that ends up not being the best.

If we all made a log of where we were going, and why we were going there, I think it would help drop our total miles quite a bit.

Has anyone been keeping a log?
Anyone interested in trying it now?
Keeping a log for just day-to-day driving might be a bit much, but to each his own. I only log my fuel expenses which would give me a total of how much I drove between fill ups. My father-in-law tracks his driving for commute back and forth to work, but thats for tax purposes. Logging what you eat is a hassle but it works, also what you spend money on. Of any information that I've read about either dieting or budgeting the first step is usually to log everything.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Beast - '82 Honda V45 Sabre Vetter Fairing
90 day: 39.38 mpg (US)

The Wife's bike - '82 Honda CM450E Red
90 day: 57.22 mpg (US)

Yellow Submarine - '04 Dodge Neon SXT
90 day: 28.71 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenKreton View Post
That's why I track things like mileage, financial transactions (not that those can't be traced mostly through other means), and other things using a PDA with encryption software on it. I just went from a Treo to a Nokia N810 for this and many other functions. At the end of the day it syncs all back onto my laptop which, since it's running Linux, is entirely encrypted with keys on a thumb drive. But that's enough of advertising off my paranoia for one thread.
I would consider that myself. If you could link me to the software you are using. (Same setup)
Old 10-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
About driving, my written log is only about gas fill-up.

But I have a mental log for my commutes : where I coast, where I break and where I accelerate, all with the speeds. Commute after commute I try to coast more and accelerate less.

About limiting my trips, I don't have the feeling that a lot could be avoided. I already group some trips, per example I go to the market when I'm coming back home because at noon I don't need a car to get my meal.

About food, we don't have a log, but we are looking at how much we trash so at next meal we prepare less food. We are trashing nearly no food by now

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
I was thinking about the loose body weight to save fuel question and I have another bit to add.

When I weigh less I feel hot less easily, which in turn could lead to less a/c use, thus saving fuel; just a thought.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Reply  Post New Thread