Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2020, 04:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Drop your cooling drag to near zero... with no reduction in cooling!

I'd never seen this mentioned before. Just extraordinary. (Double post, but I think so important.) The incredible trick from Porsche.

https://youtu.be/AAYqrDUxTiY

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-15-2020), BamZipPow (04-14-2020), Chonk_Master (04-12-2020), Ecky (04-13-2020), freebeard (04-12-2020), MHR1294 (04-12-2020), RedDevil (04-12-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
106 diesel enthusiast

Peamobile - '96 Peugeot 106 XND
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I'd never seen this mentioned before. Just extraordinary. (Double post, but I think so important.) The incredible trick from Porsche.
A friend of mine had the bumper removed from his recently and I noticed the radiators and their ducting, but was totally unaware of its effects. A very small drag penalty!
Old 04-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Double post, but I think so important.
Agreed. Spread it far and wide.

I remember seeing the twin angled radiators in cutaway drawings. Thanks for pointing this out.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Crosstour - '11 Honda Crosstour EX
For anyone wanting to try0: maybe a pair of Honda Civic radiators?

Something like this:
https://caautoparts.com/products/rad...IaAsbMEALw_wcB

Routing a twin radiators design might be quite the trick. Not impossible.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
So long as there is a header tank at the highest point it should just be a plumbing issue. Parallel or serial?

Old 04-12-2020, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wouldn't also a similar gain be found, if the packaging was more beneficial/useful, to take the air in front of the tire, and use that for cooling, and exhaust it where it was more useful? Also seems like tire heating in HP conditions, would be less of a concern.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Porsche cooling

It's comforting that Volkswagen AG would allow the budget to handle the R&D costs which lead to the design.
At around $2,000/hour for wind tunnel testing,in a world-class facility,it's been reported that Ferrari has spent upwards of $100,000 for proving out a single aerodynamic modification.
The last article I have for cooling drag dates to 1976,with the Dr. Alberto Morelli/Pininfarina collaboration on the Italian State-funded,low-drag,CNR 'banana' car,which had some amazingly efficient,ducted extractors,tuned to the exterior flow environment.
Chonk_Master (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
So long as there is a header tank at the highest point it should just be a plumbing issue. Parallel or serial?
With a series system branching from and returning to the same pump, I think you might get some advantage in mass flowrate. It might be higher if the overall volume is greater than a comparable series system. If it's the same total volume as an series system, don't think you'd see any flowrate advantage. But you could probably use the same size radiators.

Series might be tricky since one radiator is going to see hotter coolant. Different sized radiators? Can't think of any real advantage to this, other than simpler piping. Mass flowrate can be bumped up with larger hoses.

Pick needed heat transfer rate > figure out overall required mass flowrate for radiators that fit (Area) > compare to flowrates of series and parallel system constructed from available materials (?)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chonk_Master For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonk_Master View Post
With a series system branching from and returning to the same pump, I think you might get some advantage in mass flowrate. It might be higher if the overall volume is greater than a comparable series system. If it's the same total volume as an series system, don't think you'd see any flowrate advantage. But you could probably use the same size radiators.

Series might be tricky since one radiator is going to see hotter coolant. Different sized radiators? Can't think of any real advantage to this, other than simpler piping. Mass flowrate can be bumped up with larger hoses.

Pick needed heat transfer rate > figure out overall required mass flowrate for radiators that fit (Area) > compare to flowrates of series and parallel system constructed from available materials (?)
Depending on your cooling load using coolant to heat large flat horizontal surfaces like the car underbody and hood while keeping the grill completely closed might yield the same effect, possibly a little better since you could reduce turbulence

The radiator would become thermal mass after said surfaces and only open when needed for additional cooling.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Chonk_Master (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Interesting concept. Might take some doing with radiator fab but custom radiators are old hat. Only concern then might be clearance with the hood.

Reply  Post New Thread