Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Drove the Ecomodded civic to a drag racing event

I went up to Norwalk, Ohio for the DSM Shootout this past weekend. It is an event for Mitsubishi powered vehicles featuring many 8 second quarter mile 4 cylinder turbos. Since none of us were racing we decided to take my civic for the best fuel economy. I was shocked with how many people came up and complemented the car and its eco mods. I felt as if I brought up my race car and people were checking it out asking about the mods and horse power gains> Instead, they were asking about my LRR tires, grill block, mirror delete, and wondering what its effect was on my gas mileage. Pretty neat! Are people starting to come around??? lol

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think people are coming around...
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Sweet! I've been noticing some people getting interested in mods as well- many of them drive big trucks that are terrible on gas.

Do you have any pics of the car at the event?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
It's mainly the people who understand cars who seem to be interested. A lot of the kids at my high school think the aerofocus is cool, but there are still many who say it's stupid and ask why I did it to my car. Those tend to be the kids with parents who bought their car and pay for their gas and insurance. They wouldn't even know how to put air in their tires
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Focus - '05 Ford Focus tdci Futura
Thats "cool". I bet that when you tell those guys that it also makes the cars faster they would also do it to their cars. Maybe gain a couple tenths. If you use 15% less energy what would 600 700 hp gain? I know the percentage would be less
Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelB NL View Post
Thats "cool". I bet that when you tell those guys that it also makes the cars faster they would also do it to their cars. Maybe gain a couple tenths. If you use 15% less energy what would 600 700 hp gain? I know the percentage would be less
There was a guy on here awhile back looking to get more top end speed out of his EG Civic drag car through aeromodding. That's the cool thing about it- you can apply the principles to a number of different ends, be it a commuter car or an all-out racer.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Land speed records and areomodding have been hand in hand since the beginning, making for some interesting early photos on the Salt Flats. Some members are at the salt flats as we speak. Which is pretty cool and historical, as events are well documented.
I think they should make a new class for people doing more extreme mpg mods, as some of our members here are.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ust-19538.html

I enjoy tweaking my car, its become a hobby for me, i have some relatively easy mods to do yet, that are effective, my rear wheel covers will be designed after the kill switch goes in today.

Last edited by ecomodded; 08-20-2012 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: add link
Old 08-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Do you have any pics of the car at the event?
I will have to check and see if I have pictures of it. I was mainly taking pictures of the 7 and 8 second quarter mile 2.0 liter turbo cars. I think the best time of the day was a 7.2 @ 174 mph! Its 60 foot was 1.2 seconds at 64 mph. I can not even imagine a car going 1-60 in less than 1.2 seconds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
It's mainly the people who understand cars who seem to be interested.
That is probbaly true. Most people who modify cars to be faster can understand why areodynaic can help. Then they see the benifit in how people can eco mod their cars to get better fuel economy out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelB NL View Post
Some of them already know that. I saw many cars with their side mirrors removed and blocked off. Several cars sported partial or full grill blocks and other areo mods. Meanwhile others ran without front bumpers and probably hurt them a couple 10ths of a second...

One areo mod I do not see on here yet are 6-10 large 3 to 4 inch holes being drilled in the rear bumper cover. I know in our world having a full belly pan and or boat tail is ideal, but this might be benifitial too. I was told the rear bumper to many cars act as a parachute, traps air, and creates drag. I would guess it is a cheap way to let air escape or flow through the rear bumper.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

F Truck - '77 Ford F100 2x4, single cab, lwb
90 day: 8.75 mpg (US)

Bombodore - '98 Holden Commodore Exec Wagon
90 day: 21.35 mpg (US)

Civic - '93 Honda Civic GL
90 day: 36.62 mpg (US)

Jim The Prius - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 36.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
One areo mod I do not see on here yet are 6-10 large 3 to 4 inch holes being drilled in the rear bumper cover. I know in our world having a full belly pan and or boat tail is ideal, but this might be benifitial too. I was told the rear bumper to many cars act as a parachute, traps air, and creates drag. I would guess it is a cheap way to let air escape or flow through the rear bumper.
I was planning to do that on my old car (Barina aka Metro) but i sold the car before i got around to it, i wondered why it wasnt more common on here, just because its not as effective as a belly pan or are there other reasons?

(Posted in 2020) 2009 Prius Off Road project: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ide-38366.html

(Posted in 2012) 1977 F100 Project: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post310326
Old 08-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Focus - '05 Ford Focus tdci Futura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo333 View Post
I was planning to do that on my old car (Barina aka Metro) but i sold the car before i got around to it, i wondered why it wasnt more common on here, just because its not as effective as a belly pan or are there other reasons?
I think it's because it helps only a little. And keeps alot of drag. Bypassing it with a belly pan is far more effective.

Reply  Post New Thread