Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
nOOb

PT Cruiser - '04 Chrysler PT Cruiser
90 day: 23.7 mpg (US)
Dumb slushbox question?

I'm still new to all this, so there's a point I need to clarify: I can't shift my auto trans into neutral to coast unless I'm going to stop, right? Because you don't want to shift from N to D when moving...or is that wrong?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
I'm still new to all this, so there's a point I need to clarify: I can't shift my auto trans into neutral to coast unless I'm going to stop, right? Because you don't want to shift from N to D when moving...or is that wrong?
This is a question that no one seems to know for sure...

I shift from N to D maybe 20 times a day at around 55 mph, I rev match by giving a shot of gas revving past the target rpm and then let off and shift into D as the rpms drop, makes the shift smoother. I also EOC for a km or two at a time, this maybe bad also, no one really knows...
I've done it for 3 months, only 6000km, no problems yet, I'll report if any develop. I'm assuming my car will die from old age/rust before the tranny has any issues from me fooling around.
If I had a new car with lots of payments to go then I might not do it as much but I do get almost 10mpg more so I guess in 4 years the savings pays for a new transmission.
Automatics are fairly tough, I've seen a few N to D drops from the rev limiter with no causualties and how they handle full throttle upshifts and downshifts is a mystery to me.
Ian

Reply  Post New Thread