Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #551 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
It is the military itself that provides all the proof we need. They are switching to renewable energy as fast as they can, and they have to adjust all their plans for what is happening in the world.
That's your spin on it. Let's see real proof, Neil.

Quote:
The insurance companies also provide direct proof of global climate change. They have either raised their premiums a lot, or stopped writing policies when the risks are too high.

Quote:
Another undeniable proof of global climate change is the fact that Russia has planted a titanium flag on the bottom of the Arctic ocean, at the North Pole. Why would they bother to do this?
I don't know why and neither do you, Neil.

Quote:
They are claiming the rights to the mineral resources that are now becoming accessible -- because the Arctic ice cap is melting.

Quote:
These extreme and "freak" weather events are part and parcel of what has started to happen because of anthropogenic global climate change. It is affecting all of us, along with all the other life forms that totally depend on this Earth we live on. Our food comes from the Earth, our energy comes from the Sun (except for geothermal) and our water, and the atmosphere are all interdependent. Plants take in carbon dioxide and put out oxygen; and this is balanced by the rest. Change one thing drastically, and everything else is affected.
Of course. "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

The world will end at 10 PM. Late breaking news at 11...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #552 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
I think saying it's proof is a bit strong, at least in the context of something like a math proof. Taken collectively extreme changes in weather provide evidence that we're seeing climate change, but we need more years of data before we can say anything conclusive. Ironically enough, if we wait and collect a lot of data while trundling along with business as usual we could make things a lot more expensive to deal with for later generations. Generally speaking it's at least worthwhile to go with cost neutral GHG abatement. If we're wrong and GCC isn't an issue, we wouldn't be spending any more than we normally would have, and if we're right we probably saved ourselves a bundle in GCC costs down the road. Of course doing to would really cut the profit margins for fossil fuel energy producers, so we're probably seeing a two prong advertising approach by PR firms on their behalf. One is to convince people that those FF companies are looking for alternatives to solve the problem, and another to try to convince people that there really isn't a problem. Cutting FF demand in half would crater the bottom line of those companies because their net production would fall and prices would fall. They could see net revenue drop to a third or less of what it was when demand for FFs was stronger.

Last edited by roflwaffle; 01-14-2011 at 12:18 AM..

Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #553 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Climate Change and the Pentagon

This is as sober as it gets.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #554 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Yawn. I am unsubscribing from this thread. There's no use arguing science with religious converts who believe in something in the face of all evidence to the contrary (that mankind is somehow the sole or major cause of global warming).

Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #555 (permalink)
The PRC.

Neil,

Let it go. I have no doubt you earnestly believe we are doomed without action on AGW but I for one don't - and I suspect I am not alone here.

I believe we have threats to our continued civilisation but at the moment those threats are mainly coming from our own policies to combat AGW. For example the head of the UK national power grid is saying that continued power to homes is going to be a thing of the past. Is this due to a shortage of resources ? No.

Its because we are madly committed to reducing CO2 emissions with renewables with just don't ****ing work without mega subsidies and therefore we won't invest in technology that really does work.

And even when renewabls are used they only make up 0.4% of the demand in the uk, and the only for 28% of the time. I looked at a wind farm today - no turbines turning.

However the subsidies are great. It was so great that business worked out they could make money from it, which was not what the government had expected - maybe there is a message there. So they froze the subsidies.

To prove AGW you have to prove three things.

1. Unusual or unprecedented climate change is happening.
Nope.
Not here either.
Not even in Antarctica.
And its been snowing in SFO. Not for the first time though ?

2. That the climate change is caused directly by greenhouse gasses.
Possibly, but isolating those from other factors (without useless high school experiments involving light bulbs and glass jars full of CO2) is hard. Which is why the models fail to even predict the weather. Of course weather is not climate, except when its a disaster - hot or cold.

But of course there is a feedback idea. Or maybe not.

Quote:
The climate sensitivity CS as a measure for the temperature increase found, when the actual CO2-concentration is doubled, assumesCS = 0.41 ̊C for the tropical zone, CS = 0.40 ̊C for the moderate zones and CS = 0.92 ̊C for the polar zones. The weighted average over all regions as the global climate sensitivity is found to be CS = 0.45 ̊C with an estimated uncertainty of 30%, which mostly results from the lack of more precise data for the convection between the ground and atmosphere as well as the atmospheric backscattering…. The values for the global climate sensitivity published by the IPCC [3] cover a range from 2.1 ̊C – 4.4 ̊C with an average value of 3.2 ̊C, which is seven times larger than that predicted here.
3. That our creation of such gasses is tipping us over the edge.
Seeing as 1 and 2 are at nope then nope.

That tapped as I have said several times before we are all here for different reasons but with the same aim if not the same outcome idea - reducing how much oil / fuel we use to the minimum we need.

If you believe this will improve the climate then great. If you believe it will improve security of energy then great too. If you do it to save money then thats good too.

I'm not watching this thread any more either.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #556 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
I'd be happy if everyone "let it go" or unsubscribed from this thread.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget

Old 03-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #557 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...if you're looking for someone to suggest "locking" this, then I just DID so.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #558 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The American 'allergy' to global warming: Why? - Yahoo! News

Old 09-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #559 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Quote:
His numbers have proven almost dead-on correct
Bollocks.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #560 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Bollocks.
The entire content of it is a highly partisan piece, extremely one-sided. It would lead you to believe that all scientists agree on this issue, but that is simply not the case. Suggesting that anyone who disagrees is either a political hack or being paid off by oil companies amounts to propagating a lie.

By definition this is a propaganda piece, not a news story. But nowadays the news is so slanted or 'spun' by the entire media that we can no longer tell the difference.

Quoted from the piece: "EDITOR'S NOTE: Climate change has already provoked debate in a U.S. presidential campaign barely begun. An Associated Press journalist draws on decades of climate reporting to offer a retrospective and analysis on global warming and the undying urge to deny."

That's a disclaimer. This is an EDITORIAL, and the disclaimer admits it. It is OPINION (meant to persuade and influence). It is not FACT.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread