Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I believe it's Julian Edgar over at InsightCentral who is running a custom ECU in his Insight. He's a very experienced tuner, and makes claims that he has seen healthy improvements in economy by running a lot more EGR.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #32 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni87 View Post
I don't know. I'm still pretty young and inexperienced. But everytime I've deleted the egr my engibe has stayed cleaner and my mileage has increased. On my 87 Nissan I'm not sure how much it increased but doing the delete on my xterra gave me an extra 3 mpg. Now that I have this untampered Honda and a little more knowledge and experience I can do some more testing. But I understand your theory. From what I've read egr is just to decrease compression temperature down to reduce Nox or something.
EGR does end up decreasing the dynamic compression ratio, which is indeed different from the static compression ratio usually advertised. When it comes to keeping the engine cleaner after an EGR delete, it's been more of an issue with Diesels and some of the earlier direct-injection gassers because they tend to have a higher particulate matter emission, plus the fuel injected at the intake manifold in a conventional gasser tends to dillute oily vapors aspirated from the crankcase through the PCV, preventing the carbon buildups to accumulate at the intake manifold.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The op was askimg about torque. You can increase torque by decreasing pumping loses. Free flowing intake and exhaust. Back to basics. I think max fuel economy is at the same place as max torque.

Reply  Post New Thread