Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

wallace - '98 landrover 300tdi defender 110 hard top
90 day: 24.56 mpg (US)
Wallace's progress.

Ok. started to do a few small things to wallace in the quest for better mpg.
firstly. The landrover has a rad 'muff' that you can close up in cold weather. This was originally designed for the earlier landrovers, and it does work quite well. So I decided to close it up to effectively grill block. ok its not smoothall over but its ok. The prob was that next to the rad is the turbo intercooler(3/4 rad, 1/4 ic), and this was getting no cold air, so I cut out a square, and made a stiff plastic angled diverter to mount behind the grill, so all air that does get in, goes to the IC. Seems to work a treat. the heater smells hotter now, but the gauge does move up any more.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

next. i sat and looked at it side on, with a coffee to evaluate its shape. Ah ha. ! why are those on there? I am of course talking about the mudflaps. They are huge! approx 12"x12" each thats 144sq inches each x 4 = 576 sq inches of sail. You wouldn't want to strap one to your arm arm then put it out the window doing 50mph, probably take your arm off! Often followed other landrovers, and seen these flailing around under neath, and never thoughtabout them as sails. The upshot is the the truck rolls and coasts much faster, and further, I'd say 30%+. it really is quite remarkable.

thats the front

and the rear.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thought i'd do something about this huge gap twixt bumper and bodywork.

took some plastic electrical conduit, used when plastering over cables, and taped it nt to position, using a sharp knife to cut round the contours of the front panel.then

used a peice of flat alluminium, and pop riveted it down to the bumper, thus squeezing the plastic conduit to shape. Don't know if it'll make the slightest bit of difference, but I feel good. and the result?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Sweet. Looks like a good start you have. Do the newer Defenders have a rounded hood? it looks more aero than the old ones I'm used to seeing.

You could probably benefit quite a lot from a smooth belly pan. BZP has a nice writeup on his T100 thread- he suspended a coroplast-skinned ladder frame from the chassis, helping it clear the drive train and suspension.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hi sven,, the reason the later defenders have a rounded bonnet (hood) is that they have a ford transit 2.4 ltr TDCI engine fitted (now a 2.2TDCi) and it sits higher in the chassis, thus the bonnet bulge to fit the engine. There is a great problem in the uk at present with the theft of the later type bonnets.The landrover is prob not the BEST vehicle to try to eek out more mpg from, but one has to work with what ones got. because of the conjested roads in the uk and my relative short commutes (at present) i 'm not sure underbody aero stuff is worth while, as most is only in 4 th gear! But it is great to be part of a movement.... yes it is a movement.... to be more concious, more aware , of the cost and effect of the cost, of motoring.
I was considering removing the roof rack etc,but as some one on here said, ' its a work truck, if it ceases to be of use as a work truck, (because you've taken every thing useful off of it) the you might as well get something else. Well it is a work truck, and... well.... its also part of the family. You know how these things go, the truck gets a personality, every one likes it, then it gets a name......
Old 03-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Good to hear you enjoy it! I too get attached to my cars. Do you use the roof rack? Since you're a city dweller perhaps consider taking out any unneeded weight such as the spare tire or rear seats if you don't use them. I personally keep the spare tire and have a AAA membership because, you know, Detroit has its rough areas

Keep up the good work.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
I was considering removing the roof rack etc,but as some one on here said, ' its a work truck, if it ceases to be of use as a work truck, (because you've taken every thing useful off of it) the you might as well get something else. Well it is a work truck, and... well....
The question is, do you actually use the rack often ?

If not, it'll still do the same work, and still be the same work truck, just with less drag.
You can always put it back on if and when required.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi folks its been a while, just a bit of an update really. Landrover mpg dropped a tad recently because of v.short journeys, and v.cold weather here in uk, but still much better than it was.. But I finally took off my full length safari roof rack, and cut into more easily manage sections so easy to put on when needed, that also required soma alteration / fabrication of the rear ladder as this was fixed to the rack, but is now fixed to the body. but the mpg HAS increased. On a recent trip of 213 miles into gale force head wind and driving rain, with lights, heater,wipers on it recorded a respectable 31.5mpg, and the return trip, with a v.strong cross wind, it recorded an all time (prob unbeatable) 35.4mpg. This is up from a pre 'ecomodder' time avg of 26.5mpg and best of 29. now it has an avg of 29.4mpg on my 'fuelly'.