Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Vib - '04 Pontiac Vibe base
04 Vibe aero thread

Well, here's my build thread for Vibeos, my '04 Pontiac Vibe. I have many things planned for it, most of which will come about this weekend. But for now I just have a little treat. Lets start with the car...

There it is in our garage before I mocked up a few mods Monday. But today I have done my very first eco-mod! A full grill block:

(pardon the quality. It was taken with my phone when my hands were cold. And that snow? Just came today. Yeah, I'm thrilled...)

Since I will be doing an experiment with eco-mods for a science project, they need to be removable. Of course I like general removeability. The top grill blocks are attached with flexible wire run through the coroplast's holes in the top and out the bottom, and then through the grill where they are twisted. For the bottom grill block (which was VERY hard. Would've been easier if I had a chance to lie down, or if the bumper was a little higher, but whatever, it's on now) I put the flexible metal wire through the faces of the coroplast in the four corners of it, threaded them through the lower grill, wound them, ad bent them around the corner into my bumper. I probably will have to do a better job with that, but as long as it stays on. They are on the car for now as I get everything else made and attached.

Here's a list of what I want to do right now:

Partial kammback
Wheel skirts (rear)
Wheel covers (front only)
Underbody air deflectors

And eventually....

Belly pan
Better grill block
Front wheel skirts?
Windshield wiper air deflector
Sunroof air deflector (Yeah, it came with a sunroof. I'm not complaining, but I'm not exactly a sunroof kind of guy)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Encouragement to go out right now with a Sharpie and draw teeth on the lower grill block?

Thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-25-2010, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
YES, TEEEETH!

ARRRR! Ha ha ha!

Keep an eye on the temperature readout on your SG. A full block is do-able only in very cool/cold weather.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

I don't have a Scangauge. I have a Kiwi MPG meter. Great for me. I'll keep an eye on the temperature gauge of the car. It's pretty cold here though, and the heat is always on too. If it gets too bad I'll remove one of the upper ones before I take off the lower one.

I'll Sharpie in those teeth tomorrow! It'll be interesting to see the looks I'll get.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KITT222 View Post
I'll Sharpie in those teeth tomorrow! It'll be interesting to see the looks I'll get.
You could give it some angry eyes in the top grille blocks as well to complete the look

Old 12-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Well testing is all done, but data finalization is yet to come. So far it looks good for the modifications. Here are some pictures of some temporary mods with put on just for the test.

I know, the skirts aren't full, or low enough, but they were made quickly in a few minutes.

And the Kammback doesn't even impair my rear vision. It wasn't at all noticeable when driving.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
How did you attach the rear wheel skirts, and how are you keeping them from rubbing the tire?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...love the ECOMODDER.COM penciled on the rightside sail of the cardboard winglet (ha,ha)!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
How did you attach the rear wheel skirts, and how are you keeping them from rubbing the tire?
I used a clamp type thing, like the ones on MetroMPGs black Metro. The skirts are high enough so they don't rub.

Quote:
...love the ECOMODDER.COM penciled on the rightside sail of the cardboard winglet (ha,ha)!
Thanks! I thought it was a good idea to show where I got my inspiration. Once the real kammback or wheel skirts go on I'll probably write ECOMODDER.COM on there properly and obviously.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
CGBJake

Cool, look forward to another option for me to try!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You may want to take those roof rack crossbars off and retest. You may get as much gain from that as you saw from the front wheel covers or the rear skirts.
Good work!

Reply  Post New Thread