Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Vib - '04 Pontiac Vibe base
Quote:
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
You may want to take those roof rack crossbars off and retest. You may get as much gain from that as you saw from the front wheel covers or the rear skirts.
Good work!
You have no idea... Just the struggles I've had... I have been through several tutorials on how to do it, and tried to do it, but I have had a pistol of a time. I guess I want to get done with this tank before I remove them, in a way, so I can get an idea of the baseline I'm starting with. But mark my words, those things will be off my car, so help me...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Well, we took off the cross bars, and we broke the bloody caps. Greeeaaaat.... I knew these things would fight for their lives. They're repairable, but now these cross bars are going to meet Genvibe.com's for sale section. It is not worth putting them back on, even if I would use them in the future. If I need some cross bars in the future (chances are I won't), I'll use some generic bars that strap-on to the roof rails.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Yeh, I broke the end caps, too. I keep my cross bars in the garage, though. I use 'em on our family vacation trips. Kills the mileage, so I'm installing a hitch receiver for a luggage platform this year.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

I can't think of a time when I would use them. I'm not exactly a big packer, and I'm only 16, so I don't have much to carry. Only time I'd figure I'd use them is when we move in a few years, and even them I don't think I would. I want to add a hitch, for just in case, really. Maybe if I get into camping, so I could tow a Little Boy camper, or for when we move, pull a U-Haul trailer. Or put in a bike rack. These things are specialized for the Vibe, so it's not like they'll disappear off the face of the world in case I decided to put them back on, which I think is unlikely. They're worth a bit, so I could get some money for gas.

Tango, I think you'd like the genvibe.com forum. Currently, planning is underway for a June meet in Hell, MI.

Well everyone, the results of the experiment are in! And as predicted, the aero additions DID improve fuel economy. 29.6 vs 31.8. Not quite what I thought it'd be, but my data emphasizes how if you remove the aerodynamics variable, driving style has a greater pertinence on fuel economy. Eg, my step mom got about 30MPG in the control, but she got about 27 with the aero additions. Control MPG was pretty constant, yet the experiment data is all over. It does help me see that I am indeed an efficient driver, though, which is reassuring.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
I go to genvibe occasionally, usually to get a Vibe-specific question answered.

The test results sound interesting. Are you going to graph it? It might make it easier to understand.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Lil Sulf - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 47.62 mpg (US)
Front wheel skirts are going to take a bit of work if you plan on doing them. I like the teeth a lot and the grill block looks fine, as well as the front wheel covers. Wheel skirts are fine for function (my type of thing) but you may want to paint them a color that better suits the car (car's color usually works best).
Any chance to take off a mirror?

And that's without a Scangauge o.O
Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

The front wheel covers are made from that foam material that project boards are made of, so not exactly water resistant, and right now snow is abundant, so that won't exactly do. I'm going to try and get some better functioning, and more aesthetically pleasing, skirts on the car eventually. They'd get colored silver (or platinum, as GM calls it) to match. Mirror removal is unlikely (I'm a new driver, a paranoid driver, and a safe (IMO) driver, so, yeah...) but mirror replacement could happen. If I can get a hold of some aerodynamic mirrors, or make an aero-shroud, than that's what will happen. Plus I think you need two mirrors in Minnesota as law.

It's already been graphed. It's a rather boring, yet easy to read graph. Once I figure out how to turn the thing into a picture and not a .docx document, I'll post it.

The car will probably be lowered eventually too. I have ideas for an active lower grill block, using a lock motor originally intended for my sisters Celica GT, but wasn't used because it was 'too generic'. Ideas for spring loaded wheel air deflectors have also come around (spring loaded due to the snow). A seasonal air dam (REALLY am tired of the snow. I've learned that you hate snow more once you can drive.) will be coming, but in the meantime, I'm looking for some clear 18 inch diameter serving trays, or whatever, to go over the wheels (I like my alloys. Only bad part is there is no easy way to cover them), a new kammback is being though up of, and the grill blocks are happily attached to the front end. Lexan, or something similar, will go over my fog light openings.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Here's the graph. I ended up just doing a screencap, not some complicated method of .docx file to .blah to .blah, and to .jpeg. Just a screencap.

I'm driver 5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KITT222 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-27-2010), Tango Charlie (12-17-2010)
Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Winter air dam = done! I have to tighten the middle wires, but it's a quick and dirty air dam to survive the snow. Come spring, a longer one will come about. And you get to see the Vibe's teeth!! That is quickly becoming what my car is known for.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Looks good.

I have to get my act going if I want to stay one step ahead of you

Hint look here:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post212415