Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModdin' Lurker

Bluey II - '89 Nissan Bluebird 2.0iZX
I have an Eee PC - and I have installed 'eeeXubuntu' on it (from www.eeeuser.com). It is great, and brilliant for browsing the web, has wireless, webcam, can run skype etc (webcam works on Linux too).

Currently it is downloading a torrent file, and has a 60GB 2.5" HDD plugged into it. The lack of internal HDD space means you can't do big downloads but you can do everything else, can install the OS, etc.

By the way, buy the 4GB model, NOT the 2GB model. The 4GB model can be upgraded (mine has 2GB RAM and no swap space on the Solid-state drive), but the 2GB model has soldered-on-RAM.

The computer uses a very small amount of power, haven't yet got a kill-a-watt or the NZ equivalent, but still less than my 120W desktop replacement laptop

The keyboard takes getting used to, but after about 2 days, you can type on the smaller keyboard, or standard sized keyboard, with no problems.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Aspiring Eco-Modder

TheCivic - '99 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 42.09 mpg (US)
Last I looked (and I've been looking at these since last summer, damn my empty wallet!) Asus is releasing a new version in 3 days that has a larger screen, and a 20G solid state drive (with Linux) or a 12G drive (with XP). The new one is what I want (Linux of course )
Old 05-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
My next computer will probably be an EEE. I love the minimalism.

If only the 700 series lost the webcam and had a 9" screen put in its place. To get a 9" screen now means going up size (however small), which goes against the point of the EEE, in my mind.

I'm waiting for Diamondville and its correspondingly massive battery time. Everything else can be dealt with through modding.

- LostCause

Reply  Post New Thread