Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GoldFocus - '09 Ford Focus SE
Calculation for fan draw?

I did a simple measure of how much voltage drop the battery experiences with my cars fan:

No fan - 14.45V
First setting - 14.40V
Second setting - 14.35V
Third setting - 14.31V
Fourth setting - 14.27V

I have this data but don't know how to apply it for determining power drain. The car is an '09 Focus. I tried googling to find alternator specs but was unsuccessful. On older Focus's the alternator was 105amps. I would suspect mine is probably close to this but even if I use this value, isn't this only true at high rpms?

Would the equation Watts = Volts x Amps be applicable or is there a change of amps with rpm?

I also wonder if I can further use this to calculate horsepower drain by Hp = (Volts x Amps x Efficiency) / 746 But I don't know what to use for efficiency and I once again wonder if efficiency changes with rpms?

Anyway, if some of you could help me make some useful information from the voltage measurements ... I'd appreciate it!

Doug

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...you gotta know the AMPS and VOLTAGE being used by the fan, not what the alternator is rated at.

...take both a VOLTAGE and AMPS reading...that'll give you the wattage at that setting, then divide by 746Watts/HP and you'll have a HP value at 100% assumed efficiency.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Okay, I was hoping that somesort of assumption could be made but getting a direct measure makes sense. I also appreciate the comment that 100% efficiency can be interpreted for the simple equation.

Thanks!

Doug
Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

...DC motors are fairly efficient (~85-95%) but their fan blades are NOT! So, total electrical power (HP.e) will be greater than the true mechanical power (HP.m) needed to move a given volume of air...that is, you're gonna put "in" more HP than you effectively get "out," ie:

efficiency = Power OUT / Power IN = (HP.m / HP.e)
Old 12-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well, even if the 100% efficiency is off, the calculated power ratios from no fan to maximum fan should be correct even if the calculated power usuage from efficiency is a bit off. My concern would be more if there was a signficant variability with rpms, say ... 45% at 1500rpm to 95% at 6500 rpm.

Do you think it would be safe to assume fairly equivalent efficiency value across the full rpm range?

Doug

Edit: negate that, I re-read your post and find I'm confusing the ICE with the fans motor. This is correct isn't it - the efficiency parameter is in consideration of the electrical motor.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
...beats walking...

...a fictious example: it'll take 100HP of electrical power to "blow" 80HP of mechanical air movement.

...the biggest "loss" is due to the fan-to-air coupling, not the motor-to-fan coupling.
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
Swiftbow (12-12-2009)
Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks OTM!
Old 12-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fan efficiency is a very complex topic.
Quick Shot review 11: Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12
Quote:
Cooling fan aerodynamics can get complicated. Swept area, blade profile, static pressure, free-air flow, RPM limits for acceptable noise levels; a lot can go into the design of a modern pentametric fan. The way the equations shake out for most 80 and 92mm computer cooling fans, though, means they have seven blades. Generally speaking, fewer blades mean higher efficiency; the same goes for propellers, which is what gave rise to the counter-weighted single bladed props used by some very strange aircraft. But it's my no doubt criminally over-simplified understanding that dropping a normal cooling fan design to, say, three blades, would mean you'd have to run the blades so fast to get the same air flow as a less efficient 7-blade fan that the resultant device, while efficient, would make too much noise and/or wear out too fast.
I actually have a small inverter drive fan with 3 blades, probably originally designed for computer cooling. I use it as a desk fan during the summer since it is very efficient.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
The power draw is less than the rating of the blower motor fuse / relay.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...olts-8908.html

MetroMPG's Metro is much thriftier than most cars, so your fan probably draws more power than his.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...aseo-8767.html

Reply  Post New Thread