Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mercedes Turbo Diesels.

I'm not sure how it is in your neck of the woods, but here in Southern California they are plentiful. You can pick up a runner for 1000 dollars.

Our laws allow you to swap a diesel into your pre-1997 inclusive, Jeep and not have to run smog checks. With the older, robust pumps on these diesels, you can run waste oils to reduce your fuel costs. There are several companies that make adapter kits for the Mercedes OM617 and OM602-3 line of engines. I make my own as I have a fabrication capability and CNC equipment. These diesels have good RPM capability so they cruise on the freeway comfortably. The Cummins 3.9 does provide more torque but they weigh much more.

Look into it and see the availability in your area.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
I'm not sure how it is in your neck of the woods, but here in Southern California they are plentiful. You can pick up a runner for 1000 dollars.

Our laws allow you to swap a diesel into your pre-1997 inclusive, Jeep and not have to run smog checks. With the older, robust pumps on these diesels, you can run waste oils to reduce your fuel costs. There are several companies that make adapter kits for the Mercedes OM617 and OM602-3 line of engines. I make my own as I have a fabrication capability and CNC equipment. These diesels have good RPM capability so they cruise on the freeway comfortably. The Cummins 3.9 does provide more torque but they weigh much more.

Look into it and see the availability in your area.
There are no mercedes turbo diesel cars in my area. There seems to be a lot in California though. That would only be a couple hour drive, so it may be worth it. It might be easier than finding a TDI engine to swap in, though I didn't find any here either. We have a big food truck culture here, so finding a box van with the Cummins is a possibility.

Also CPM calculators seem to be more of a marketing thing. I could not find anything for cars.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
1). Edmunds “True Cost to Own” (TCO)

2). AAA’s Your Driving Costs
“How Much Does It Cost To Drive?”

You’d be correct in assuming no one wants you shifting from feelz to brains in re cars.

Reply  Post New Thread