Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EGR, Idle Air, and downhill pumping losses

I was driving today and as I was going downhill with my foot off the gas I was thinking about the pumping losses and EGR and the IAC that was probably open because the throttle was shut and I thought, "what about using the EGR instead of the IAC?"
Both the EGR and IAC bypass the throttle plate, so when coasting downhill or just decelerating, one or both of those valves have to be opened. So I was thinking, if the EGR was routed to the IAC input, or the IAC was disabled somehow and the closed-throttle airflow was all from EGR, what effect would this have and would there be any benefits or problems?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlocutionist View Post
I was driving today and as I was going downhill with my foot off the gas I was thinking about the pumping losses and EGR and the IAC that was probably open because the throttle was shut and I thought, "what about using the EGR instead of the IAC?"
Both the EGR and IAC bypass the throttle plate, so when coasting downhill or just decelerating, one or both of those valves have to be opened. So I was thinking, if the EGR was routed to the IAC input, or the IAC was disabled somehow and the closed-throttle airflow was all from EGR, what effect would this have and would there be any benefits or problems?
Most newer cars will engage DFCO during heavy DECEL conditions. During DFCO the fuel injectors do not fire, so there would be no advantage to program out the throttle-follower calibrations for the IAC valve. Normally the IAC is commanded to go to full-open.
The EGR normally doesn't function during heavy DECEL. One reason is because of the lack of pressure in the exhaust during these conditions.
Each case would be different, - pressure varying with different cars and different driving conditions.
You could induce some EGR flow during DECEL by over-riding the valve, but the mass of the flow would be less than if the engine were loaded.

The catch for increasing air-flow during heavy DECEL is that most calibrations watch the MAP output to check for DFCO qualifications. If you increase your manifold pressure, then DFCO will disengage and you're back to injecting fuel.

You can get around all of this with an injector kill-switch, and simply open the throttle during coast-down.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
With DFCO working the exhaust would basically have no combustion byproducts to recirculate. No fuel to burn so no exhaust to recirculate. I guess you could recirculate the exhaust but for all practical purposes the bypass circuit does the job of preventing super high manifold vacuum which would tend to pull the oil up past the piston rings.

regards
Mech
Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympiadis View Post
You can get around all of this with an injector kill-switch, and simply open the throttle during coast-down.
Are you suggesting kill the injectors and then open the throttle in gear? Not trying to be negative. I just don't understand.
Thanks,
james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Some of the more primitive cars probably do not have DFCO built in, such as the one I'm currently working with. Which is why I'm trying to figure out ways to attempt to retrofit more advanced technology to relpace the old, not so effective controls.

An injector shutoff does sound like an interesting idea. Maybe even tie it in with an alternator kill switch; injectors turn off and alternators turn on while coasting downhill, injectors back on and alternator off when the engine needs to go again.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Are you suggesting kill the injectors and then open the throttle in gear? Not trying to be negative. I just don't understand.
Thanks,
james
That is what some people do.
I have an automatic and only do engine-on coasting.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlocutionist View Post
Some of the more primitive cars probably do not have DFCO built in, such as the one I'm currently working with. Which is why I'm trying to figure out ways to attempt to retrofit more advanced technology to relpace the old, not so effective controls.

An injector shutoff does sound like an interesting idea. Maybe even tie it in with an alternator kill switch; injectors turn off and alternators turn on while coasting downhill, injectors back on and alternator off when the engine needs to go again.
I know DFCO was used on the 1981 Nissan 280Z, possibly even the 1975 model, the first year they were injected. If your car is fuel injected just place a screwdriver tip on one of the injectors with the plastic handle in your ear, making it a crude stethoscope. Rev the engine and listen to the injector. If it stops clicking completely when you let off the throttle, it has DFCO.

regards
Mech
Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

engine off, in gear, on a MT?

Could more people chime in on this point raised in this thread about engine off coasting in gear on manual transmissions? Can a manual transmission car with an injector cut-off switch can safely coast-down in gear with the injectors off? With the car on, would such a scenario mean alt charging but no fuel? Wouldn't it be damaging to the engine and/or transmission? Would lubricants be circulating?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Its perfectly fine to do in a manual trans. I've done it a few times with my Paseo down larger hills to help charge the deep cycle battery I have (because I'm running an alternator delete). There is still very noticable drag due to the engine still pumping and compressing air. But, there is a noticable difference between WOT and no throttle. I don't do it often because IMO its really not worth it. Its also a pain to flick on the alternator switch, hold down the injector kill switch, hold down the gas pedal, select a gear to get rpms up a little... then at the bottom of the hill reverse it all to start the engine back up.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Its perfectly fine to do in a manual trans. I've done it a few times with my Paseo down larger hills to help charge the deep cycle battery I have (because I'm running an alternator delete). There is still very noticable drag due to the engine still pumping and compressing air. But, there is a noticable difference between WOT and no throttle. I don't do it often because IMO its really not worth it. Its also a pain to flick on the alternator switch, hold down the injector kill switch, hold down the gas pedal, select a gear to get rpms up a little... then at the bottom of the hill reverse it all to start the engine back up.
Forgive me for being this dense, Daox, but here is how I hear this: I can coast down a hill near work that is a mile and a half and very steep in 4th or 5th gear, injectors OFF, pedal to the metal, and key in the run position and thereby charge my battery via the alternator without risking damage to the engine? That's what you have done?

Reply  Post New Thread