Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
How do any new Mitsubishi Mirages get sold, when you can buy a used Acura TSX for less money?
I don't know that a 19 year old car is a fair comparison.

You can get a 2 year old Leaf with less than 10K miles for the price of the Solo.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=231370370

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
I mean, it's only a 9 year old car, and a Honda with less than 100k. But it's also a luxury marque in an attempt to show the absurdity of the statement.

So....
You can get a 3 year old Honda Fit with less than 50k for significantly less than the price of a Mirage.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Or you can get one that's about 1.5 years old with 36k for about the price of a Mirage:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

It's a larger, more luxurious, better appointed car.

Or how about a Cruze LT with 18k?
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

My point was that every new car, especially every new "econo" model has to do battle with a huge, inexpensive used market where the "off the lot" penalty has already been paid. Thems the breaks for this segment.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
My point was that every new car, especially every new "econo" model has to do battle with a huge, inexpensive used market where the "off the lot" penalty has already been paid. Thems the breaks for this segment.
True. The same can be said for motorcycles. A BMW R1250RT costs as much as a new Honda Civic. There is no logically reason to buy the motorcycle. People buy a motorcycle priced the same as a car for the experience of riding a motorcycle. It is very different than driving a car.

The problem for the Solo is that it isn't a different form factor. It is a car driving experience, without the safety of a car, from a start-up company, that is likely to be out of business before the warranty ends.

I personally think the Solo would have sold 10 years ago when affordable EVs were rare. People would have overlooked the downside just to own an EV. Today the market is flooded with cheap off-lease EVs with 4-5 years of warranty remaining.

We will see if enough people want to be different for the sake of being different.

EDIT: I also agree that there is no logical reason to buy a Mirage.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
True.

Today the market is flooded with cheap off-lease EVs with 4-5 years of warranty remaining

EDIT: I also agree that there is no logical reason to buy a Mirage.
It’s flooded as you say because used EVs are hard sells in their home markets
AKA Most EVowners want a new EV. Further that many states punitively tax an EV which virtually haults used EV sales in those areas.

Most EVs in Wisconsin were bought used and were originally from primarily 3 states.

The result of all this is a strange situation where a lot of salvage EVs get exported overseas for more money and parts / usedcars become more scarce here.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
It’s flooded as you say because used EVs are hard sells in their home markets
AKA Most EVowners want a new EV. Further that many states punitively tax an EV which virtually haults used EV sales in those areas.

Most EVs in Wisconsin were bought used and were originally from primarily 3 states.

The result of all this is a strange situation where a lot of salvage EVs get exported overseas for more money and parts / usedcars become more scarce here.
The market is flooded because most EVs are originally sold on 3 year leases and EV sales are picking up.

I assume the “punitive tax” is the registration fee for EVs. Do people really not by an EV that will save them $1000 on fuel per year because they don’t want to pay the State government a $100 registration fee?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The market is flooded because most EVs are originally sold on 3 year leases and EV sales are picking up.

I assume the “punitive tax” is the registration fee for EVs. Do people really not by an EV that will save them $1000 on fuel per year because they don’t want to pay the State government a $100 registration fee?
Yes, Wisconsin EV sales fell to single digit monthly sales after the fee passed.

Other states without EV incentives have had the EV market collapse after adding fees as well.

Can tell me it shouldn’t be that way but that’s how it’s been working by the numbers.

Further my Insight uses about $150-$180 per year of fuel
My Plug in uses $150-$180 a year of “fuel” as well

A $100 annual fee is equal to 40% of my driving expenses
(considering my maintenance 5 years in is nearly zero on both)
Old 03-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #37 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Yes, Wisconsin EV sales fell to single digit monthly sales after the fee passed.

Other states without EV incentives have had the EV market collapse after adding fees as well.

Can tell me it shouldn’t be that way but that’s how it’s been working by the numbers.

Further my Insight uses about $150-$180 per year of fuel
My Plug in uses $150-$180 a year of “fuel” as well

A $100 annual fee is equal to 40% of my driving expenses
(considering my maintenance 5 years in is nearly zero on both)
You seem to drive much less than the average person. The average person drives 13,500 miles per year.

13,500 miles / 30 mpg x $3 per gallon is $1350 per year for gasoline.

13,500 miles / 4.5 miles / kWh x $0.115 per kWh is $345 per year for electricity.

I agree that a flat fee doesn't make sense. We should just replace the gas tax with a mileage fee applied to all vehicles.

Reply  Post New Thread