Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #261 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
This guy uses Yellow Tops in his drag car: Bill Dube's 1985 Volkswagen Wabbit

But they're not really traction batteries.

I think you probably will have better success with real lead-acid traction batteries as offered by Trojan or US Battery. They should last you longer and are more forgiving of "screwups" in charging and discharging. But you have to check the water periodically and they are heavier. They are available in 6, 8, and 12V. The lower the voltage the longer they last (that's a tradeoff for power output for a given pack weight because the lower voltage will give you less instantaneous power but will last for more charge/discharge cycles).

Trojan Battery Company

U.S. Battery Golf

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #262 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
After more driving, I've been averaging (according to scangauge) 35 MPG in the city. That is absolutely average. It's somewhat annoying to drive as if the car decides to fuel cut, the motor doesn't have enough power to maintain speed. So you have to give it just a hint of gas which lowers my instant MPG from 90's to 50's while cruising.

I'm going to continue testing for the week (as I don't have a lot of spare time this week) but was really hoping for much more mileage improvement than that. If I can't get a major improvement (With some luck and hypermiling, I can see 30 MPG city) I will move on to Plan B by simply attaching it to the rear differential. Or Plan C of just building an electric pusher trailer everyone talks about.

Here's to the future!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #263 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nikita - '95 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Brother I don't know if it's realistic to hope for more than that. Not with a mild hybrid. One of the main reasons your motor can't move the car under it's own power is trying to turn that air pump that is your engine, with the throttle closed. I mean these comments in the best way possible.

You might get some ideas here if you haven't already been here.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_hybrid
Old 08-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #264 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I never did understand the premise of an electrocharger type thing helping fe in a vehicle already equipped with an ICE large enough to provide the desired acceleration and cruise speeds. I can see it working if the ICE is undersized to the point where it needs help in providing the desire acceleration rate, and also help for grades and passing (if there is any).

My understanding of it is, ICE' are most efficient under accel- open throttle, low rpm- so if anything a hybrid strategy should have the ICE doing the accelerating work. It follows then that ICE' are least efficient under part throttle cruise so that is when you'd want to shut it down and use the electric which should dovetail nicely into that theory because batteries don't like the heavy draw-down of acceleration but seem to "like" the slower, steadier draw-down of cruise loads.

The good part is you now have the motor, controls, and batteries. If you aren't satisfied with the "electrocharger" type set-up, you can reconfigure for the "anti" electrocharger set-up. Sure it's back to the drawing board, more work but at least you have the expensive bits all lying about now.

The bad part is you need to figure out a way to get a true neutral coast i.e. freewheeling while in ev cruise mode.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #265 (permalink)
in tents

The Adventure Wagon - '94 Subaru Loyale Wagon 4x4
Subaru
90 day: 33.43 mpg (US)

Electro-Monkey - '11 Surly Karate Monkey BMC V2S Front Hub Motor
90 day: 694.1 mpg (US)
I agree Frank. The only time I've contemplated electric assist in my car is stop-and-go traffic, where you can't pulse & glide, and you're forced to idle & move forward every 5-10 seconds (or use your starter every 5-10 seconds).

With the system I imagine, the ICE would be off and not turning, while the electric assist pushes one or more wheels (or its own drop-down wheel). Then once you're up above neighborhood speeds or you need real acceleration, the ICE kicks back in.

Depending on your driving cycle this may or may not be a big help.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #266 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

One day I shall build a turbodiesel with an electrocharger, and bask in my own efficiency.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #267 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
I actually think an old VW rabbit truck with its front wheel drive for the ICE. then put a live axe in the rear attached to an electric motor would be a perfect combo.

Last edited by bennelson; 01-18-2012 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #268 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bam, you also get the benefits of 4 wheel drive...

To be honest I think the belt drive system has potential there as well, you'd want to mount the motor to the rear-end itself but if you have a pulley where you'd normally have a universal joint...problem I foresee is that the differentials I know don't like to be dragged.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #269 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 30.82 mpg (US)
Brucey, thank you for doing this. I'm learning a lot.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"
Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #270 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Something that would help with the draw when dfco occurs would be a huge vacuum leak. As others pointed out, the big air pump of an engine is causing issues, but it's not so much the pumping of air as pulling a heavy duty vacuum. Should you introduce a way of having wide open throttle with the fuel shut off and not causing a downshift, you would see major improvement. Easiest way to implement this would be a valve to cause a massive intake manifold leak at command, ie a second throttle body. But a second valve body wouldn't be detected by the computer, so it wouldn't attempt to downshift and shouldn't turn on the fuel. Adding a fuel pump shut off to the secondary throttle body/vacuum leak would be a good idea too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadeTreeMech For This Useful Post:
henshao (08-15-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread