Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 02:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bionx, I ride a lot and am very happy.Be sure to discuss your needs and riding style before buying.Get a bike That has parts and service guaranteed.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Just another perceptive but I've come full circle on the e-bike. The bicycle is my primary mode of transportation. I started out with a normal bike then built up a kit and rode for over a year and am now back to just riding old school.

I think the key to an e-bike with SLA batteries is the length of your commute. Mine was rather long and the batteries just did not hold up. I was going through them fairly quickly. This could also be tied to the extremely hot temperatures here. I tried going with the Fire Alarm rejects but they were just to unpredictable for me. I was left more than a couple of time dragging 60# of dead weight home. In the end it was not cost effect for me. Tires, parts, and batteries were going to quickly.

One other very small disadvantage with the e-bike kit build up is that it takes away the urban assault capability. Hopping curbs, road debris, or steps is pretty tough on the bike. Not a huge deal but in downtown area can be an issue.

You mentioned that your commute was 20 miles. If that is one way I think you would really be pushing the limits of the SLA batteries. If it's just 10 miles each way then that would be much better.

Anything under 20 miles I saved about a max of 15 minutes using the ebike. This is in rolling terrain. There are times I miss the e-bike and don't ride now when i had it. Mainly in very strong winds.

As always your mileage may very.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The best environment for electric bikes is stop-and-go traffic with a supercapacitor. A sleek fairing system would double the battery range. A nose cone and rear tail box would raise cruise speeds to 30 mph without a motor.

Reply  Post New Thread