Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
There's nothing keeping someone from using the pedals w/ ~60lbs more w/ the right gearing, and it only adds ~10% more to the power requirements at 10mph and less the faster we go. The biggest killer IMO for using smaller lead acid batteries is cost w/ range coming in second. That said, I use to bike ~10-12 miles/day six days a week at ~12mph and having more than enough power to cruise through at the same speed w/ no pedaling would've been great some days.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
lithium batteries anyone? small, light, expensive.... knock 40lbs off the bikes weight. OR get a braille battery. 21lbs, 31Ah rating.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post

Also, check with your local laws.

I know that in my area, to still be considered a bicycle, the vehicle must still have pedals (use 'em or not, they just have to be there) and a top powered speed of 20 mph.

That 40 MPH electric bike would be considered a motorcycle by law in many places. Drive that without a cycle license, and you could have trouble!
I think in most states (could be wrong but don't think so) that 5hp is the rule of thumb and the laws aren't based on mph capabilities. The flat styled, reverse trike bikes will easily break 20mph and I've not heard of any penalties for them... yet.

On a crazier note: Search youtube for electric bikes. I watched videos for about an hour over there yesterday and saw a great deal of homebrew set-ups... some of them were so fast they were just downright dangerous.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I was referring to top POWERED speed.

I can go faster than 20 mph pedaling a bike.

5 HP sounds WAY too high! I can go 45 MPH on my motorcycle with an 8hp motor.

Usually electric bikes are measured in watts, NOT horsepower. 1 electric horsepower is roughly 750 watts.

I really think the main thing is what the vehicle looks like, if it has pedals or not, and that you aren't going WAY too fast if you still want to be considered a bicycle.

No cop is going to stop you and ask how many watts you are using.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 10-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Misanthropologist

BORK! - '89 Volvo 240 DL Wagon
90 day: 21.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blister View Post
I think in most states (could be wrong but don't think so) that 5hp is the rule of thumb and the laws aren't based on mph capabilities. The flat styled, reverse trike bikes will easily break 20mph and I've not heard of any penalties for them... yet.
You'd be surprised how poorly worded most of them are considering most state DMVs have based their regulations concerning electric bikes on the Federal standard which states:

1. No more than 750 watt motor
2. No more than 20mph on level ground (while carrying 175lb)
3. Functional pedals

See: http://www.iloveebikes.com/Distribut...regulation.pdf

In Virginia DMV code the only limitation specified is a maximum 1,000 watt motor and no limitation on top speed.
Quote:
"Electric power-assisted bicycle" means a vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is equipped with (i) pedals that allow propulsion by human power and (ii) an electric motor with an input of no more than 1,000 watts that reduces the pedal effort required of the rider. For the purposes of Chapter 8 of this title, an electric power-assisted bicycle shall be a vehicle when operated on a highway.
LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-100

I've been using an electric bike to commute to-and-from both work and public transportation for a few years now.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...00-a-5158.html

Legally I can go anywhere a bike can. Including sidewalks if there is no bike lane provided in areas where the speed limit exceeds 25mph.
Just make sure what you are riding looks obviously electrically powered.
I have been pulled over twice in the past year by cranky police officers who mistook me for a regular scooter with no license plate (I can't get one anyways), or were unhappy with me using the sidewalk.

48V @ 20AH allows me to travel up to 25 miles on a single charge without having to use the pedals at all.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
my electric bike uses a hub motor from electricrider.com and 4 36v dewalt lithium batteries (2.3ah each) got them for around $100 each on Ebay brand new, they will power my bike at 25-27mph without pedaling, and give me a 15-20 mile range depending on hills with me, a 235lb rider, more if I pedal, but the one time I did run them dead was about 15 miles ridding with a friend on his electric bike and a no name 10amp hour 36V lithium battery off Ebay, his performed about the same as mine, but was a cheaper set up with a smaller hub motor, mine took off from a dead stop faster, and climbed hills better.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Here is a photo of my current motor with my old battery pack (30 NiMH "D" cell flashlight batteries... if you want to try it your self I'll sell them to you cheap, but you might be disappointed), it is the mid speed crystalyte phoenix motor all of their motors are designed for 72 volts but their kits come in 36, 48 and 72 volt kits, allowing you to save money on controllers and batteries.

I'm still pleased with mine, although near the top end of the price range it is basically a 1400 watt motor at 36 volts and at 72 volts can put out 2800 watts or more or nearly 4 horse power.
A friend with the phoenix racer motor just had his foxx power lithium battery show up, 20 amp hours at 48 volts weighing about 30 pounds, it will be fun to see what it can do.

of course you should always check local laws, Wisconsin is amazing, 30mph using the power device, must have pedals, user must have a learners permit or higher license.
California I think has a 20mph speed limit, allot of kits market towards that state and put low quality controllers in that top out at 20mph because of that.

Last edited by Ryland; 01-16-2009 at 09:38 AM..
Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I've got an old "Charger" electric bike from Aero Vironment. Its best feature is the power control. You set it for a given level of boost, and just pedal normally. Up to the limits of the system, it just amplifies your effort. So you feel like Bionic Man, instead of a frustrated fellow cranking on a feeble twist grip. Pedaling at a comfortable effort feels better than just sitting there, with options to improve health without gym time, provides central heating, and makes the rig look normal.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
TacoModder

rik's prerunner - '03 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab TRD 4A
90 day: 29.68 mpg (US)
Woohoo!!! I got a new eBike!

I just picked up this eBike at a garage sale buyout store.

With Google's assistance I was able to figure out that it's a Fuji-Marlboro Folding Mountain Bike that was offered as a promotion in the 80's by Marlboro. It looks to have been electrified with a 500W Cyclone-Taiwan kit. Chain drive. Motor is rated 24V 2500rpm, max torque 42kg-cm. The battery pack contains two 12V 10Ah SLAs and weighs about 30lbs.

Here's more pics:

I'm quite excited. I haven't biked in a long time, b/c I'm just too out of shape to beat the hills. But just last week I was pricing e-kits, and lo-and-behold, one appears... pre-assembled no less! I rode it home the three blocks and a little hill. My legs gave out after about 3 pumps on the hill (hey, the bike is 65 pounds), so I gave it a rev and zoomed the rest of the way home.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Top of the line

Hey This is Chris from AmpedBikes.com,

We are currently undergoing a complete face lift, or bike kit lift, and are completely innovating state of the art technology and incorporating it into our already top of the line models.

Some of our current projects include;
-a Wireless Throttle system
-Tube Container for the batteries
-an iphone app to control all the specs of your bike kit

Currently, we offer a
-Geared 36v 450watt motor/disc brake compatible
-Direct Drive Motor 36v 750watt/ disc brake compatible
-complete kits with SLA Batteries starting at $475!!!
-Also, for a limited time we are offering free shipping to the cont. Usa

check us out at

www.Ampedbikes.com

Reply  Post New Thread