Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #191 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Well, yesterday's work on the cycle was interesting......

To start with, I thought I would tackle the charging port in the tank.

On the Metro, I used a Marinco power inlet from the boat store. It looks nice and fit well where the gas cap was.

The local boat store closed up a while ago, and I seem to remember that plug being about $30, so I thought I would instead repurpose some existing material. But what would just be kicking around that happens to have a recessed male power connector on it? How about a junk computer power supply?

By removing a couple of screws and snipping the wires, I now have a FREE power connector.

There isn't a whole lot of space between the motocycle's gas cap and the main support pipe under the gas tank. The gas cap locking cover is actually pretty thick. To make everything fit, I needed to make the gas cap cover thinner. To do that, I removed the tiny screws from the under side to remove the lock tumbler, latch, spring, assorted washers, et. al.

I used a hole saw to cut out a section of plastic sheet the same size as the gas cap port. I then traced the power connector and Dremelled out a hole for it to fit through, and then hit it with some black spray paint.

After mounting the plug in the plastic disc, it looks like this.

And here's what it looks like in the tank.

I'm not quite sure how to mount it in there. The inside lip of the fuel port is sort of a weird shape and on an angle. I'm not going to actually mount the electrical jack until after the tank is painted. I may just have to use hot glue to mount the jack, or maybe 2-part epoxy.

The back side of the jack is just wires for now. I may wire on a standard female electrical connector on the other end of a short pig-tail, just to make it easy to plug in the charger. Hardwiring would make changing out chargers later just that much more complicated.

The other fun was that I took the brush-holder off the Etek motor.
I was talking on the phone the other day with a guy I know who works in R&D at a motor brush manufacturer. He said he might have some free Etek brushes kicking around from a testing project. I decided to pull the brush-holder off to take a look at the brushes and photograph them to send to that guy.

I now think of opening that as a Pandora's Box.

It only took three bolts being removed to take the entire brush-holding-unit off the motor, but did I know that? NOOOOoooooo.
It took 20 minutes of poking around in there with spring-loaded brushes shooting out and stabbing me in the eye before I figured that much out.

Unlike a typical series-wound motor, a pancake motor has brushes parallel to the drive-shaft. Imagine the brushes pushing against the face of a coin instead of it's edge. So, all the brushes point the same direction - DOWN. On a more typical motor, they all point towards each other.

Also, there are EIGHT brushes, and the style of spring does NOT let you pull the brush and easily hold it in the out position. I would need my pet octopus to help me put this thing together.

Here's what just one of the brushes looks like. It's sort of a wedge-shape. When you see the commutator, you will understand why.

Here's the motor with the brush unit removed, so you can see the commutator. It's sort of a copper hurricane of rotor. Since a spiral radiates out, there's more surface area per degree the further you get out. The wedge-shaped brushes take advantage of that.

Here's the brush unit. It's sitting upside-down, so what you see is that brush end, which would push against the commutator.

Now comes the fun part of the story.....
When putting the motor back together, I had to reinstall the end-cap bolts, which included washers and lock-washers.

I dropped a washer.... Into the motor.

Unlike a series-wound motor, which is only magnetized while current runs through it, this permanent magnet motor is ALWAYS magnetic on the stator. It literally has a ring of magnets on both sides of the rotor.

The washer was instantly SUCKED INSIDE the motor never to be seen again!

Any guess as to the spacing between the rotor and stator on this motor?
That's right, it's EXACTLY the thickness of a washer.

There was no way to get the washer out of there without a COMPLETE TEAR-DOWN of the motor.

So, now I had to take all of the bolts out (really keeping an eye on those washers this time!) At least now, I knew how to remove the brush holder as a single unit, and set it off to the side.

I would still need a bearing puller to get the motor apart. Fortunately, I was working at the Milwaukee Makerspace, and knew one of the other guys was going to be in not much later. I e-mailed out a begging "please bring in your bearing puller!" e-mail.

Once the end of the motor was pulled off, it wasn't terribly hard to get the washer out. We had a stainless steel slim-jim (NON-magnetic!) that we slid in there to push the washer half-way out, they grabbed it good with a needle-nose pliers before pushing the rest of the way out.

Here's what the motor looks like without its cover.

The top plain silver ring is the back side of the stator. On the other side of it is a ring of permanent magnets.

Here's an inside view of the removed cover, including showing the drive shaft bearing.

Now, I got the joy of reassembling the whole thing. Again.
This time, I snapped one of the housing bolts. Arg! Then 5 minutes later, I snapped another one....

So a trip to the hardware store ( they are metric bolts - we American's never seem to have those in stock.... ) for 3 bolts, so I had a spare...

Apparently, M6 bolts can take nearly NO torque.

When reassembling, the bearing needed to be set down just a LITTLE further. I used a flat punch and hammer to push it down, so I could get the snap ring back in place.

Tap tap tap.... tap tap tap.... tap tap PUNCH!

The punch slipped, and went right through the bearing!

ArG! At least the hole wasn't punched right through the marking on the bearing, so I should be able to look up the number and buy a replacement.

So, that's the long story of why it felt like I spent the whole day on the motorcycle and got almost nothing done!

I did at least decide on how I want to mount the controller.
I would like most of the cycle components mounted in such a way that they are fairly visible. That way, when everyone is asking questions, I can easily point out the components and tell what they do.

I am going to mount a plate vertically, running longitudinally on the cycle, just above the motor. The controller will be mounted on that, so it's close to the motor, but also shows off the controller, and allows easy access to the serial port on the controller.

On the opposite side of that plate (visible from the other side of the cycle) I'll mount the main fuse, ammeter shunt, contactor, and anything else I'm forgetting right now!

The next big step (after replacing the motor bearing) is to mount the motor. Then I will see how much space I have available for the controller and other components.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #192 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Wow, thats quite the ordeal!

It looks like you also cleaned up the motor mounting plate a bit?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #193 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

I trimmed and sanded the motor mounting plate a few days ago.

I may end up making a new one. I think I need a square corner on the bottom of it to use as an additional attachment point.

I sort of want to show viewers the whole process of making an adapter plate anyways, so maybe I will do that.

My YouTube Videos
Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #194 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

Here's video showing use of the compute power supply for a charging port.

My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
pletby (07-02-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #195 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Keep plugging away, Ben!

(EV joke...)

Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #196 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

The latest photos of the project are at: PHOTOs LINK!

Well, after that whole thing with me wrecking a perfectly good bearing for no good reason - grrrrr....

I went and purchased a new drive shaft bearing for the motor. AMAZINGLY, I was able to remove the old bearing and install the new one with NO new adventures! It actually worked the way it was supposed to!

I installed the motor on two threaded rods that span the cycle.

It's a tight fit - but the motor goes right where it is supposed to!

I welded up an angle bracket that goes from under the seat to the middle section of the battery rack.

This bracket divides the cycle in half the long way, so that the components will be easier to show off. A vertical plate will mount on there.

That gives me a good spot to mount the controller on one side, and the main fuse, contactor, etc. on the other.

My YouTube Videos
Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #197 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Are you going to add a brace on the front end of the motor plate to give it more than the threaded rod to hold to?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #198 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

It's going to get another bolt at the front bottom of the motor mount plate.

That will connect to that bottom rail of the battery rack that spans the length of the "engine compartment".

The threaded rod holds the motor well in two axis, but at the moment, the front end of the motor can "twang" side to side.

Adding that additional anchor point will prevent that from happening.

I have seen cycles where they just weld a big steel bracket to the frame. That's nice and solid, but you better make sure you get it just right the first time!

Using the threaded rod allows for side-to-side adjustment to align the motor with the rear sprocket.

My YouTube Videos
Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #199 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

Did I mention that I have a second 1981 Kawasaki KZ440?

That's right, it's going to be the stunt-double for the electric cycle.

You know how on cooking shows that they make some batter and the put it in the oven, and instantly they already have one baked to perfection? The gas motorcycle is the batter, and the EV Cycle is the fresh baked goods!

Both cycles will be used in my BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLE instructional DVD.

I picked up the gas cycle a few weeks back. Overall, it's in very good condition - other than the carbs not working right!

Tonight, I started pulling parts off that bike that look nicer than the ones on my EV cycle. Fenders, tail-light, mirrors, etc.

That way, when the EV cycle is all done, it will look that much nicer!

My YouTube Videos
Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #200 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

I put new tires on the cycle the other day.

I had the tires for some time (at LEAST a year..)

My new friend Justin offered to help me get them on. He has tire irons, and a little bit of motorcycle workshop space. I already had the wheels off the cycle, so I loaded them up with the new tires and headed to his place.

It was WAY more work than I thought it would be, but at least no cycle shop labor charges!!

Here I am with the old tire off the first rim.

With the tires off, I used Scotch-Brite to clean corrosion off the aluminum rims. That makes the rims clean, but me dirty.

Here's the new tire and inner tube going on. INNER TUBES?!?!?! Yep, turns out these rims use inner tubes. I had to do a little chasing around to find new ones on a holiday weekend.

Here's Justin working on the rear wheel. Seems very happy to be slaving away on my project for free. He DID mention how he wanted to build an electric drag bike, so I have a feeling I'll be working on one of his projects soon...

Me getting dirty with the other wheel.

Wow, actual tread on the new tires!

It was a lot of work wrestling with those things, but the rims cleaned up pretty nice and the new tires look great!

My YouTube Videos
Reply  Post New Thread