Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
EOC in FWD Auto Buick possible with RV upgrade>?

I am not sure such a thing exists for a 98 Buick Lesabre (or our 93 suburban we would like to tow along for moving our trailer instead of moving it w/ a 40ft 11mpg diesel pusher at the fairs) but apparently the
RV crowd commonly adds an electric tranny pump in parallel with the hydraulic so they can flat tow autos behind the RV, I am curious if this would be a good way for those of us invested in a blasted auto to break the MPG barrier enabling EOC and flat tow.

Has anyone ever made a DIY Electric transmission pump mod?

Thans
Ryan

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

Wow, that would be awesome! I'd love to EOC in my Buick also without fear of grenading the transmission.

http://www.remcotowing.com/sites/www...structions.pdf

The instruction manual they provide shows the fluid being pumped from the pan into the return line. Simple concept, bear of an execution.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Hmm, I am sure a mechanic could do it, I wonder how far you have to break down to get into the buick since it is tough to get in there so to say.

Main issue of coarse is the $850 price tag, not sure I can make that back anytime soon in FE savings.

Now if we could get the bloody auto companies to cooperate and build the transmission from the factory like the ones at Oshkosh truck where you can coast power off at any speed for any duration we would be getting somewhere.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

The problem with the Buick is the pan is shallow. Not much room for a fitting on the sides, and you'd have to run a lot of hose to get to wherever the pump was.

Wiring it in would be hard, too. We'd need a relay of some kind to run the pump whenever the engine was off and the transmission in neutral. It would need to be somewhat automated to kick in quickly after engine-off, then disengage on re-start. Then there's the separate issue of wiring in a kill switch. Plus getting all of it to play nicely. And remembering to shift into N before doing all this..
Old 09-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

On the DIY Electric Car website, there was mention of using a cheap fuel pump to pressurize an automatic transmission.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Reply  Post New Thread