Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
I think you are misunderstanding the concept behind "EOC-ing"

OK, lets call it EOBraking then

The point of engine braking is that, while in gear, (in most modern cars) the fuel injectors automatically shut off, however, you lose too much speed. Therefore, whatever "gains" you made with engine braking are lost because you have to speed up again. I use engine braking when i KNOW i have to slow down to an eventual stop (ie a stop sign).

yes, same here

Engine Off Coasting is coasting in NEUTRAL while the engine is off. This way, you get the benefit of 1) fuel injectors are turned off and 2) you're coasts are longer because you are in neutral.

agreed. they are longer....until you put it in the woods because you were going to fast for the turn.

I am afraid your "EOC-ing in gear" might have damaged your transmission.
fear not, jedi. it is a manual trans. it has no idea whether or not the engine is on.

And yes, the entire purpose of what I am doing is to get out of paying a tax that I fear is coming. Currently, we pay road taxes, primarily through fuel purchase. As high mileage cars and EVs become more common, they will have to figure out another way to collect them. Miles driven makes the most sense. It is coming, sooner or later.

Last edited by pete c; 08-11-2015 at 08:33 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydave View Post
doesn't the steering wheel lock?
Nope.

Most cars have the following positions; lock, acc, on and start. Turning it to the acc position maintains steering control. It becomes "powerful" steering rather than power, but it is still quite managable, especially in a lighter car like a focus.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This technique will result in loss of an accurate mpg numbers, but, I am not so concerned with that.

Another thing to add.

If I turn the ignition back on while the engine is spinning, the engine computer really doesn't like it. The engine anti-theft light scolds me with a steady fast blink and no ignition. Turning it back off/on allows ignition, so long as it is done with the engine not turning.

I suspect a better place to ask this would be on a focus board, but, I have found in the past that discussing our peculiar little tactic of coasting with the engine off, immediately turns into a lecture about how crazy I am.

I already know how crazy I am and don't need to be reminded.

Reply  Post New Thread