Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Budget electric car "race"

I know we have mentioned before the idea of "racing" the ForkenSwift, Pauls Bug, and my Electro-Metro.

Most of the time it has been in jest, especially since these three vehicles will most likely NEVER get together.

Somebody commented on how we could all videotape the vehicles driving, and then edit the three together with a divided screen.

I am really starting to like this idea. Not only could we have the vehicles race for speed or range, but also on build cost, time to build, total weight, etc.

It could be a really fun video used to promote DIY electric vehicles, and , of course, have a web link back to Ecomodder.com for more information.

We could even get somebody to do "color commentary" for the "race"

Looks like I need to pull the motor from the Metro again to work on the motor spacing, but once I get that done, I would be game for racing.

-Ben Nelson

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sounds like fun!

One drag race group I am familiar with has these competitions where scoring is not just a speed contest, but they us and aggrigate score. For those guys at least, scoring is based on looks, fit and finish, quarter mile performance, and spectator appeal. With that type of scoring, you are open to 'weight' any part of the competition anyway you <the rules, the judges> see fit. Efficiency, inovativeness, creativity, distance competition, quarter mile times, what ever.

I used to orginize a race group at Sacramento Raceway. At one event, about 6 years ago, a northern California club of EV racers showed up to have a mini-event on the same day. At the time, I had no idea guys were doing this.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
electric car race