Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

EV motorcycle: Monitoring battery life and voltage

One of the things I have been trying to figure out with my electric motorcycle build is how to view how much life is in the battery pack and how much current I'm using (volts and amps). I was recommended the Cycle analyst. However, it looks like the CA is mostly used for ebicycles. Am I wrong?

Also, if the Cycle Analyst does work, what about monitoring overall battery voltage so I can see how much life they have left so I don't drop below 20% charge capacity?

I mean, I guess the CA is what I need. But can it also tell me the battery perfect left? Can I also get it to handle 500 amps if I have a 500 amp shunt?

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 02-22-2015 at 10:06 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
*IF* the CA is designed to handle CURRENT from a shunt, then "YES" you can use ANY sized shunt that you want...just be sure the "scaling-ratio" is correct between actual current and the "scaled" current (actually a voltage signal) that's generated.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
*IF* the CA is designed to handle CURRENT from a shunt, then "YES" you can use ANY sized shunt that you want...just be sure the "scaling-ratio" is correct between actual current and the "scaled" current (actually a voltage signal) that's generated.
How do you set the scaling ratio? Is the CA programmable? Or do you have to order it pre-set that way? I've noticed some vendors sell it with a 200amp shunt, some with a 300, and I saw one up to 500 amps.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
I know NOTHING about that CA device, but a SHUNT is a physical, electronic, very-low RESISTANCE device that covers the CURRENT passing thru it into a specific VOLTAGE signal.

The ratio, or scaling coefficient, "X", is simply:

VOLTS(out) = X/AMPS(in)

Ask the selling vendor what shunt(s) the CA is designed to work with...it will probably be a number like "millivolts-per-amp"...the scaling coefficient, X, above.

Reply  Post New Thread