Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
I dig the skirts, and the hammock! Canada Post used to sell all their old ones off at one of the auctions here, they had stuff from the '80s and '90s with short boxes and either a gas powered GM 250 6 cylinder, or a 6.2L diesel. But those didn't have the raised roof, they were "normal" height. They also had some weirdo little Grummans that were powered by a VW non turbo diesel. The first one they ever sold brought a whole $600 because no one knew what the heck it was, or what to do with it, then the dealer that bought it sold it on his lot for $5000, so after that the word got out and the prices went through the roof ha ha.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
It used to sit at a storage lot I keep one old car at, it was from the USA and I don't think they were ever sold here. It was a late '80s Toyota van, 4x4, with a pop top. It wasn't a JDM car, this one was left hand drive, and I seem to remember it was even a 5 speed. Now that would be a sweet, affordable little RV.
Possibly it's a Toyota TownAce/LiteAce, the predecessor of the Previa. There's also the HiAce, slightly bigger, which was and still is more popular for those pop-top campervan conversions than the TownAce. Well, with a HiAce it would be easier to get all the functionalities of a small apartment, but with a good planning you could optimize the usage of space in the TownAce...
Old 04-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Ya they were never called that here. In fact, I don't think the Toyota vans of that era had a name, they just had the trim level on the back hatch (LE etc). It was basically a LiteAce, except it was the North American, left hand drive model that had been converted by a third party aftermarket company. I think it was a Get-A-Way conversion. The only other local one I can think of is a Sidewinder, but they have a cool snake on 4 wheels logo, so I would have remembered if it was one of those ha ha.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
In fact, I don't think the Toyota vans of that era had a name, they just had the trim level on the back hatch (LE etc).
They were just sold as Toyota Van.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

this is my townace but the one you guys are talking about was the model before this one there are a few around NZ, purpose built campers, it has a little wider back on it, they are jap imports 4x4 townace front end, door on the back corner, poptop, they call them Europa, here. I have often yearned for them when they come up for sale. We still get the townace here new, only it has a nose now and some of them come camperized with pop tops but they are fairly small. The Hiace is very common and likely the best all round in my opinion. as a high top camper, with 2.8 deisel. I would struggle between the pop top or the high top, if and when it came to making a decision. WW I saw a hiace on Vancouver Craig llist, pop top but they wanted a fair amount of money for a 1992 right hand drive.. 16,000. japanese import. likely has low k's

Last edited by flying kurmaster; 04-27-2013 at 06:32 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Well they re-ordered some of the cars in the auction last night, the Palm Beach was supposed to run at #198, so around 11:30am this morning as the auction starts at 10am. I got there at 10:05am just to have a look around for any last minute add ons and get a coffee, and there went the Palm Beach out of the auction lane as I pulled up. Some genius re-numbered it to #6 in the auction, so it had sold by the time I had parked. It brought $2500. I should actually be there right now, but when they do stupid things like that it annoys me so much I just left. Why print a list and a schedule if you are just going to make things up as you go? Sorry, I'll stop ranting now lol. So no 8mpg for me.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
I had the "RV" urge a couple of years ago and bought an old 8' Bonair tent trailer. 1400 lbs load with all our gear. The Matrix pulled it just fine at 100 km/h. Even over the Coquihalla the slowest I had to go was 80 km/h (at 5000 revs in 2nd!).

Buying an old bomb of an RV requires lots of garage space because there is no end to the amount of tinkering they require. My garage is full of my other toys, so I ended up selling it. Plus my inlaws bought a townhouse on the lake in Osoyoos and I would rather go there on weekends instead of living like medieval peasants (aka go camping).
Old 04-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
. So no 8mpg for me.
all together now AAAAAAAHHHHHH...... like I said you are a lucky man,,, I am glad we got through that one..
The Following User Says Thank You to flying kurmaster For This Useful Post:
War_Wagon (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Ya I need an RVs Anonymous sponsor to get through times like this. Though now I am thinking that even though my Grumman is on the small side, with a hammock slung diagonally you could actually have room for other things like a fridge, table, etc. I remembered that I didn't buy it last year, it was 2011. It ran then, I guess I will find out if the propane system holds pressure when I go to start it next week. Worse case if it turns out the transmission or something is out of it (I don't think I ever drove it, I just saw it driving), it's gotta be worth what I paid for it in scrap aluminum!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Tent-trailers are actually interesting, but they look more fragile.

Reply  Post New Thread