Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #31 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
What's a road fee? Just curious. If I take a ferry or something, then I pay more with a trailer, but do you have to pay more for a trailer on the highway etc?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Some of those TT that I see on the road seem to be suspended awfully high, such as below:

Haven't ever figured out why... Seems like it'd be better from cg and aero povs to have the whole thing sit lower (even with the potential loss of space for fender wells)...
Departure angle has little to do with it, overall. It's just cheaper to design a frame without much in the way of wheelwells. And, as Americans favor pickups there is no need seen to accommodate cars for reasonably sized trailers (it ain't what the market demands, its where the incentives favor manufacturers and lenders in all aspects). A square box has a high COG and terrible suspension -- rollover prone from winds and tripping hazards -- but is easy to frame up from conposite panels, put on a soft roof that'll last five years ($2k in materials to replace) and push it out the door for a low price.

The only brand of this type worth considering are trailers by NASH and ARCTIC FOX. And then, only because someone had to have something brand new.

EARTHBOUND was an interesting concept while it lasted. In the right direction even if not a bullseye from a design standpoint.

Water is what ruins RV's. So a roof less than permanent is the Achilles Heel, every time.

FE is a negligible concern on a vehicle that might only see 5k miles per year. One must address both TV and TT from the start for true economy, not just FE.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Thanks slowmover... that makes even more sense... a way of reducing the cost.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
What's a road fee? Just curious. If I take a ferry or something, then I pay more with a trailer, but do you have to pay more for a trailer on the highway etc?
Some roads in Brazil were given away to private companies which perform their maintenance, and then they can charge the users. Things that happen in a corrupt country
Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to electric_ride
I know some of you are really going to give me a hard time on this one . However it was CHEAP and in nice condition inside. The outside is dirty but soap and water will resolve that and some fresh paint over that blue will help ALOT. I have already made a set of basic aero caps that turned out GREAT. Although my long term goal is to get the Salt Flats look but anything is better than nothing. Lastly I would like to ask what are your thoughts on making this thing more aerodynamic. I am thinking under body enclosure as one route but am open to any and all suggestions. I know this thing is not going to be cheap to get down the road but it has got to be better than putting a camper on the back of my 1/2 ton. Plus alot more room while I'm staying in it. New pic of it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75 Chevy RV.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	14006  

Last edited by electric_ride; 10-26-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

F Truck - '77 Ford F100 2x4, single cab, lwb
90 day: 8.75 mpg (US)

Bombodore - '98 Holden Commodore Exec Wagon
90 day: 21.35 mpg (US)

Civic - '93 Honda Civic GL
90 day: 36.62 mpg (US)

Jim The Prius - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 36.66 mpg (US)
My Dad recently bought a Toyota Hiace pop top, its nice and comfy for a couple to go away for a long weekend but any more than that and its a bit small, was perfect in conjunction with a small bike trailer for our weekend trip to the drags:

No idea what the fuel usage is like but with a 4 cylinder petrol engine and 5 speed manual it shouldnt be too bad

(Posted in 2020) 2009 Prius Off Road project: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ide-38366.html

(Posted in 2012) 1977 F100 Project: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post310326
Old 09-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #37 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
These campervans are nice, altough usually not having all the features of a motorhome, such as a bathroom.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #38 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
The 26ft., 12,000 lb. Antique Hot Rod with plumbing!

I am a huge fan of the old GMC motorhomes from the original post in this thread... I know of one that has held the Land Speed Record at the Salt Flats in excess of 108 MPH. And they do have quite a following.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I stood in this vehicle for a moment in August. No need for a seat belt on the toilet—it didn't have one.

Palmer Designs, Ltd. About This Project
Quote:
Long story, short, we took a perfectly stock GMC Motorhome and gave it to world renowned car builder, Dennis McCarty of Vehicle Effects to give it a complete “Go Fast” makeover...Dennis and an associate of his, Luke Richards of Lucra Cars, removed everything flammable, including the floors, wheel wells, cabinets, old wiring and appliances and replaced everything with aluminum and fiberglass. We then installed a full-length chromoly roll cage from front to back. The entire suspension system was replaced with new and more modern parts like quad air bags, Air Ride suspension, 6 wheel disc brakes, stabilizer bars and Fox shocks, A-Arms, new steering components and more... Oh yea, I forgot to mention that she was fitted with a new 600HP Chevy big block 502 Ram Jet fuel injected motor and an upgraded TH425 Transmission.

At Speed Week on the Bonneville Salt Flats...on August 12, 2013, we successfully drove the GMC LSR “MoHo” 120.8 mph. We were only 7.8 mph short of the overall Guinness World Record for “Worlds Fastest Motorhome” but we were very pleased with the results considering we were rookies. It’s a cool feeling to know you have the fastest GMC Motorhome on the planet. In 2014, we are installing a supercharger and perhaps we’ll make another final drive gear ratio change. Then we are headed back to Bonneville to finish what we started.
Here's the one they didn't beat—Full interior, street legal, pop-top, etc.

Quote:
Now if you are in a rush to arrive at the campsite and you’re in the market for a new set of wheels to go faster, be very happy: The new record-setting Westfalia Jules Verne home-on-wheels, with the exception of small modifications to the engine in production configuration, and street legal. The fastest camper in the world can therefore be bought by interested customers.
OTOH, I'm working on a single-occupant camper interior inside a VW Beetle body. Who needs a Westy.

Last edited by freebeard; 10-02-2013 at 05:35 PM..
Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #40 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Here's an RV for you. It's actually registered as a motorhome. We found this about a half hour away from where I live. 1976 Vandura, original base coat paint, original owner, all the custom work was done in 1977. 2 beds, an icebox, brass spotlights for interior lights, tons of storage, full curtains, 2 sunroofs, and more shag carpet and diamond tuft pleather than you can shake a stick at. It had been sitting in that spot, parked on carpet, for 11 years. Back brakes were locked up, so we had to put in on dollies to push it out to where the tow truck could pick it up. That shot of me tightening the rear lug nuts is the first time it had seen daylight in over a decade, we were worried that the paint would bubble up and fall off ha ha. The show pic is from the late '70s early '80s when it won best of show at a custom van show. Man, when was the last time you went to one of those??

Once we got it back to the shop, we looked it over. It had a half tank of 11 year old fuel in it, so I was going to drop the tank and drain it, but it had a custom trailer hitch welded to the frame that went under the tank. I pulled the gas cap off and it didn't smell too bad (you know bad gas when you smell it), so I put a battery in it to spin the engine over and see if it had any oil pressure. And the stupid thing started! Runs like a champ, so I changed the oil, replaced the dried out cork valve cover gaskets, and put a battery in it. Total restoration budget? $90. Gotta love small block Chevrolets ha ha. Put it in gear and it cracked the back brakes loose, it had all new brakes in 2001 so once it was freed up it all works mint. This thing will be the communal RV for the rest of my buddies and I natural lives, it's entirely too badass to ever sell!

larrybuck (10-16-2013), slowmover (10-14-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread