Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well... the charity is only getting the attention it's getting now because he's dead. Wasn't even on my radar before that.

I've friends in the industry who use their connections to try to pull in more donors for charity. Some of them get criticized as "glory hogs" or if they use their business for fund raising, get criticized for using the publicity as advertising, but hell, if you have an asset (being well-known), use it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
charity is not the same as good, all actions have reactions. Though I do donate thousands per year, I don't make the mistake of thinking I done "good".

Edit: in case you are still struggling with the concept,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/charity/against_1.shtml

Last edited by P-hack; 12-05-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Struggling with what concept? That there are downsides to charities? That there are charity organizations that waste money? That simply giving a man a fish instead of teaching him to fish may do more harm than good?

In this case, charity efforts are not to put those hundreds of thousands of recipients on a permanent dole, but to help them get on with their lives and back on their feet.

A lot of the work being done here is attempting to move able-bodied, work-capable victims out of the calamity zone into areas where they can reconnect with their families and find work, or to help them rebuild.

Direct giving of food and medicine is done merely until supplies normalize... something which will be a long time coming. In this case, a direct monetary contribution to a large multinational like the Red Cross is often more effective than giving in kind, because of the economies of scale and more focused action possible with such organizations.

If you're looking for charity to address root causes, however, no amount of charity will change the climate, and there is already work underway to redefine danger zones and to move people out of it.

In the meantime, there are people without food, medicine and shelter and without the ability to harvest or make their own. Which is why they still need general donations of all kinds.

-

Again, thanks for the attempted lecture, but there's nothing there I haven't already seen or experienced firsthand.

And if you don't think you've done good by giving to charity, why donate at all?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You are the one doing all the lecturing, and you seem to prefer personal attacks on anyone who disagrees with your philosophy. Stop spamming with your "causes". Just go back to writing high horsepower glorification articles for Top Gear and promoting more environmental change and rationalizing it because everyone else is doing it.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Citation of personal attacks?

Must admit, I did get annoyed during the first exchange, but on reflection, decided a more level-headed response was in order.

You seem to prefer simply citing general reference material to do your argument for you without explaining your position in a more personal manner. Why don't YOU personally, believe in charity? And why do you give, anyway, if you don't believe in it?

I have no personal agenda, not being the recipient of any charity and not working personally for any of them, though I've done some donation and volunteer work over the years for some of them.

I don't like giving monetary dole-outs. And I do share some of your sentiments questioning why we should take care of those who refuse to take care of themselves... which is why I took the time to explain the situation as regards to Typhoon Haiyan more thoroughly.

Which part of that was a personal attack, then?

-

EDIT: apparently you've never read any of my magazine articles. Such as "A Day in the Life of a Hypermiler"... or the piece where I encourage car buyers to exercise financial restraint and responsibility while buying... or the countless online discussions where I encourage buyers to go for more economical cars, or any of the online reviews where I lionize (or more properly, fawn over) cars which can hit over 20 km/l. I may work for a magazine spawned from the work of eco-Satan himself, Jeremy Clarkson, but what better way is there to reach "the enemy" to try to change their behavior than from within?

Then again, I wouldn't expect you to research my work before making generalizations about me... just as with Paul Walker... or charity in general... or...

Last edited by niky; 12-05-2013 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Great, more vomit.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you don't want to engage in a mature debate, then don't. Not my boggle.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Old 12-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphDaCivic on page one
Trailing throttle over steer has killed many a Porsche driver. It is counter intuitive to not let up on the throttle in a turn. But if you go into a turn fast in a rear engine car, you better hold or increase the throttle. Otherwise the car will dramatically over steer.
OTOH, it's handy for turning an intersection into an impromptu traffic circle.

Niky -- It's good to see you posting after that bit of weather. Is your house on stilts? Have you heard about frictionless charity? Sean’s Outpost Announces Satoshi Forest, Nine-Acre Sanctuary for the Homeless

I'll always think of Paul Walker driving 80mph in reverse, while looking into the eyes of his passenger instead of the rear-view mirror.

Edit:
Here's a more pertinent example:
http://http://www.fr33aid.com/1311/a...phoon-victims/

Last edited by freebeard; 12-16-2013 at 08:07 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread