Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Exhaust wrap?

I have two rolls of high temperature exhaust wrap left over from an older project, and would like to know, what would the benefits and downsides be to wrapping my Insight's exhaust?

Some thoughts:

The Insight goes in and out of lean burn to keep the catalytic converter warm. As I understand, there is no temperature sensor in the cat itself, it's a programmed routine, so wrapping the cat shouldn't reduce how often it drops out of lean burn.

Is wrapping the cat safe? Is it possible to overheat it? Or should I skip it and wrap before and after it? Do I have to worry about anything else getting too hot, considering the header is watercooled?

If I wrap all the way up to the engine (the header is part of the block), I imagine this might have a negative effect of lowering air temperature under the hood. On the other hand, it will keep the pipes warm, which might help with keeping the engine warmer longer after parking, or warm up more quickly.

What effect will keeping the exhaust gas warmer have on the tuning of the exhaust system? Will this likely help, hurt, or do nothing f or economy?

Will wrapping the exhaust help prevent it from rusting out, or will it make rust worse? I'm probably going to leave my car with my folks up in Vermont while I travel abroad, and I'm thinking it might help keep the salt away, though it might also trap moisture and cause it to rust out faster. What actually happens? If I wrap it, I can probably safely cover it with coroplast, so how does that effect the rust equation? I've read that fiberglass wrap can make rust worse, but I don't think the Insight's exhaust will get nearly as hot as with larger engines - why exactly does fiberglass wrap cause rust? Is it heat or moisture?

Any other thoughts on uses for exhaust wrap? Maybe go around the engine a few times with it? How about using it to wrap coolant lines?

Last edited by Ecky; 10-16-2014 at 11:56 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Grrrrrrrrr Ecky, you know if you do it and it turns out awesome I'll have to do it!

Of course, that's one of those sly mods my wife would never notice

Old 10-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Wrapping the exhaust won't really do much for you. It has the possibility of slightly helping out with reducing back pressure. The reason being is the exhaust gas stays warmer, thus its less dense, thus less exhaust gas in the piping, and its easier to push out. However, we're talking a very minimal difference here that I don't think you'd ever see when filling up.

Wrapping the exhaust will definitely make it rust faster. One major reason why I wouldn't do it. It has to do with moisture, not heat.

Insulating the engine might be a better idea, faster warm up is always a good thing.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
It will cause the exhaust pipe to oxidize faster. It will "rust" faster but not because of water.
Don't bother with it unless you have stainless exhaust or a diesel.
I don't think it will help fuel economy.

If you want to do something with the exhaust on a gasoline engine to boost fuel economy the only thing I can think of is add an exhaust/coolant heat exchanger.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
It will cause the exhaust pipe to oxidize faster. It will "rust" faster but not because of water.
Don't bother with it unless you have stainless exhaust or a diesel.
I don't think it will help fuel economy.

If you want to do something with the exhaust on a gasoline engine to boost fuel economy the only thing I can think of is add an exhaust/coolant heat exchanger.
The G1 Insight comes with a heat exchanger from the factory.

Anyway, thanks! I'll scratch that idea off the list.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Yeah, me too!

I am always looking for cheap-to-free mods, though, especially if they're of the not-so-visible type like that one

Reply  Post New Thread