Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
Yes I have the 3 cylinder 1.4. It's the 80hp version. I have seen chip tuning sites selling upgrades to 100hp but I guess that's not what we're about here

The torque below 2000 rpm is certainly adequate. I do find it sounds quite "boomy" though; I don't know if the hatchback suffers from the same problem or if its the estate shape or volume?

In terms of economy, according to the gauge I get 60mpg driving "normally" (whatever that means!). To get 70mpg takes a lot more effort and speeds below 50mph. That's easy on one of my routes as that's the speed limit for most of it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
The PRC.

Mileage not bad and I don't use the performance as much as I used to, unless really really annoyed by someone. I'm more laid back these days with maximising MPG as per here rather than speed.

The vRS is starting to hurt on the insurance front (who me Ociffer ?) as I have to have business miles on it too. A vRS estate though would be very useful as the hatchback boot is mega small.

You should get good figures out of the 3cyl though. I had a Mk3 Polo (I think) - the first one with the 1.4 3cyl and it was superb on fuel, never under 55 on a run and hardly under 50 in town and I drove it hard.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
The PRC.

Oops - I see loads of replies - maybe we should start team Skoda
Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 38.74 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Mileage not bad and I don't use the performance as much as I used to, unless really really annoyed by someone. I'm more laid back these days with maximising MPG as per here rather than speed.

The vRS is starting to hurt on the insurance front (who me Ociffer ?) as I have to have business miles on it too. A vRS estate though would be very useful as the hatchback boot is mega small.
Is the vRS that expensive to insure? I always assumed it would be quite reasonable, simply because it was a diesel (in Golfs and the like a diesel is always a good number of insurance groups lower than a petrol of equivalent performance).

Quote:
You should get good figures out of the 3cyl though. I had a Mk3 Polo (I think) - the first one with the 1.4 3cyl and it was superb on fuel, never under 55 on a run and hardly under 50 in town and I drove it hard.
One of these Polos?

Yeah, it's the Mk3 facelift. I think it was one of VAG's first cars with the 1.4 TDI, along with perhaps the Lupo. It's an excellent engine though. I'd love an Audi A2 with that engine.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJI View Post
Is the vRS that expensive to insure? I always assumed it would be quite reasonable, simply because it was a diesel (in Golfs and the like a diesel is always a good number of insurance groups lower than a petrol of equivalent performance).
Unfortunately mine has non-standard wheels (previous owner, not my choice - I hate them) and I got 3 points from a Talivan near Inverness last year (on a deserted A-road I hasten to add, not in town etc.) so mine is a little higher.

Quote:
One of these Polos?

Yeah, it's the Mk3 facelift. I think it was one of VAG's first cars with the 1.4 TDI, along with perhaps the Lupo. It's an excellent engine though. I'd love an Audi A2 with that engine.
Yep - one of them. It was a frustrating car, just fast enough to be fast but slow enough not to be. It just sniffed the fumes from fuel though.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 38.74 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Unfortunately mine has non-standard wheels (previous owner, not my choice - I hate them) and I got 3 points from a Talivan near Inverness last year (on a deserted A-road I hasten to add, not in town etc.) so mine is a little higher.
Just a thought actually, but are the aftermarket wheels and tyres wider? Might be able to find a few extra mpg from swapping back to standard.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Just a thought actually, but are the aftermarket wheels and tyres wider? Might be able to find a few extra mpg from swapping back to standard.
A few people have made the bigger wheel error so standard ones are quite spendy, but I have thought about trying for a set of suitably sized steelies from a Golf / Passat and using those instead.

The Tyres I have (Yokohamas) are about as much use as a chocolate teapot in the recent snow too.