Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks. I will do that. I will drive it on my piano tuning calls tomorrow and keep the lap top plugged in which will give me more accurate feedback. When I had the 190 thermostat in it, with the Evans coolant, it would run between 205 and 215 normally. The engine bay would get very worm so I put a 180 thermostat in, and it runs between 190 and 205 now, before the block-off. Evans boils at something like 350 degrees so I am not worried about a boil over, and I run a 7lb cap as a result. Even if it goes back up to 215 it would be fine. I will monitor it and let you know how it does. Thanks.

Sam

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Drove it almost 100 miles today. The temp cycled from 175 to 200. I think I could block off the bottom half of the center section and not get too hot. There is currently only 120 or so square inches of opening left.

Filled up the tank and calculated 19.5 MPG. This is good progress from the starting point of 12 or so last year. I am going to go with smaller mud flaps in the back now. I think I can lower the front end just a bit more also.

Sam
Old 10-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Drove to Western Maryland and back yesterday and noticed the temp slowly crept up to 210 over the course of the trip. While this is not too high, it demonstrates a lack of good control, as it sat at 175 for part of the trip. when I got home I checked the electric fan and it had never come on. So I lowered the adjustment to make the fan come on at a lower temperature. I had never changed it after going to a cooler thermostat in the summer. So now I am not sure, but it seems that having the grill blocked off requires a more carefully regulated fan control. I think maybe it did not matter so much when the grill was wide open.

I am investigating the possibility of controlling the fan with the Mega Squirt computer. I am pretty sure that is possible, but you have to modify another out put to make it happen. This would make the fan respond to the temp of the engine and not the temp of the radiator.

Sam

Reply  Post New Thread