Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV

Might be a perfect application for an EV marine application in the keel section.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I am hoping enough people buy these and are very satisfied to keep them chugging along, because lithium is so much cheaper now than say 9 years ago they will have a very hard time convincing EV heads to buy.

That said lead batteries are in almost everything on the road, these would be a much better choice for many cars, including those with start/stop technology. Hopefully a few others notice it besides me.

Anyway, The current 3d battery adds carbon to lead to foam it and only saves a little lead. The gain is better current discharge and life (at up to 50amps), weight on the current generation is almost the same (within 10%) however all 110 amp hours are usuable so if you compare to a lead battery that would support a full 110 amp hour discharge with a good life at 50amps your weight goes up a lot.

I agree with others, this company needs to market to the RV, marine, car audio, off road wildlife folks (remote power for toys in the woods) and similar before they start worrying about ev marketing, I am trying hard to justify putting a pack in my EV so I can report on the batteries real world, but until the company offers the "high discharge" battery their current low discharge battery (up to 50amps with no loss) would just behave like another lead but at a lower weight. Although they would have a longer cycle life, which is hard for me to monetise as I have done very well on well used packs.

Ah well, Firefly said they will contact me if they make a high discharge pack for a customer who wants to make hybrid semis.

I wonder if we could get someone like Fleet Farm or similar to market batteries for them? I am certain normal lead acid customers could substitute these and get much better performance and life.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 10-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

http://www.bruceschwab.com/uploads/f...pot-2-2014.pdf

Interesting read, although most I already knew nice to see it in print.

I have continued to bother firefly but have just managed to piss off the sales rep because I don't want the ju ju he is selling, also apparently he would want me to buy hundreds of batteries when I only need 4 to maybe 6 of them.

Ah well, so much for an expensive (but slightly less so) test.

Anyone have a motor home they want to update?
Old 06-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Oddly enough Firefly is still trudging along, albeit very slowly.

They now have 4v deepcycle batteries and a new E series of batteries (no idea) along with more information.

Now if they would drop the blasted group 31 size I might buy a 48v string.

Ah well.

Reply  Post New Thread