Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Robert Giordano

Rob's xd - '12 Scion xD
Hello from a Scion xD Owner

Hello Everyone,

My name is Robert and I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL. In 2012, I traded my Ford F-150 pickup for a new Scion xD. The car gets 2 or 3 times better mileage than my truck but I'm curious how I can make it get even better mileage. I have many, many questions and I hope to learn a lot here.

I've had many jobs over the years. I worked as an auto mechanic from 16 through college. I've also worked as a welder. After college, I became more interested in photography and journalism. I worked for a major newspaper and for several magazines. I currently own a small commercial photography/design company.

I carry a lot of gear. It used to occupy half the space in my pickup bed. Now it all fits in the back of my xD, with the rear seats folded flat.

Last edited by Rob215; 04-21-2013 at 03:19 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Welcome!

Are you tracking your fuel use? And have you invested in any aftermarket instrumentation? I prefer ScanGuage, but UltraGuages are pretty good, also.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
What does it take.

Welcome. Henry E. Kinney tunnel?

How hardcore do you want to go? No AC? It is too hot already and it only April. Instantaneous fuel display imo a must have. As for South Fl being flat you would think so but if you drive I95 every one of those overpasses uses more fuel on the up side. If you use the turnpike, SunPass. Take a look at the 100+ Hypermiling Tips if you haven't. Tip 41, 42 and 43 deal with cruse control or not.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Welcome.
good move on downsizing!

punp up the tires. several posts on this.
Also consider upsizing the tires when the time comes. several threads on this.

And yes, as started above,,,,get a scangauge......see first link in my signature

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Considering the downsizing, it was already a good move. Regarding other ways to increase the fuel-efficiency, eventually you could benefit from the air intake (there's a huge debate about cold or warm air intakes and their respective advantages), and also a less restrictive exhaust.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Welcome to EM! My spouse drives an xD and she typically gets ~32-34MPG, but it is capable of hitting 40+. Pump the tires up to the sidewall maximum (read the little label on the side wall of the tires), coast in neutral when you need to carry speed, downshift to slow down (this shuts off the fuel), and use the stock instant MPG gauge to see how you do with various techniques. You need to keep a record of fillups and you can adjust the distance on the odometer after you drive a measured distance. The stock FE gauge is probably not accurate, and the odo is probably underestimating the distance you drive, too.

I did an upper grill block on my spouse's xD and I don't think it made much of a difference. The xD has a Cd (coefficient of drag) of 0.32, I think, which is okay but not great. It is a boxy car and any big improvements of the aero drag will be difficult.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 04-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Robert Giordano

Rob's xd - '12 Scion xD
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all of the advice so far!!

I just ordered a Scanguage. I've been using the built in MPG gauge and I've been keeping a chart, on paper, of my mileage.

I've read all of the 100+ driving tips. Very interesting. I'm trying to adjust my method of approaching those overpasses on the interstate and yes, I've been using sunpass for a while.

Yes, Florida is hot! I try to drive with the AC off whenever I can, but I don't really want to show up at a client's office all sweaty!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I use to own an xa and the later xb. One of the secrets to the vvt was that you had to accelerate past your desired speed, lift off the throttle for the vvt to readjust then reapply pressure to maintain your desired speed. That alone was worth like 5 mpg. Then of course blocking part of your grill, inflating tires to sidewall psi and the other stuff mentioned on here.

FYI, having an sg2 I found my stick shift xa got its best fuel economy at 40mph in 4th gear. I then picked routes that allowed me to travel at that speed and went to my furthest destination first and worked my way back home and making right turns alone the way.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
scion xd