Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dart Lite - '76 Dodge Dart Dart Lite
90 day: 18.34 mpg (US)

Beater..with a Heater - '94 Isuzu Rodeo LS
90 day: 16.19 mpg (US)
It's working...

Cliff's Notes Version:
97 Ram 1/2 ton, 2wd 5.9 with 5 speed and 3.55 gears. Daily driver. Lowered 2/4, headers, Magnaflow converter and exhaust, electric fans, K&N filter, and serious port work on cylinder heads and intake manifold.

I bought SGII through EM on their recent promotion. I have been working on getting it dialed in.

Average MPG has been 15 give or take. I have not tracked it diligently.

In the last few weeks, I have installed a grill block, and adjusted route to and from work. I have also started using more P&G, though EOC spooks me.

The last 3 days with the above, I have gone from a very consistent 15 to 17.7, 18.9, and 19.6 on the trip to work.

I attribute most of it to P&G, plus the route. While much of KS is flat, there is a pretty good size hill on the way to work, or the other direction is pretty flat, steady speed. I have not used the hill too much, as I concerned that the trek up would offset the coast going down. The coast is LONG on the back side, and is paying off in daily average MPG.

In the long run, greenie is getting parked for a beater car, but 25% increase over average by P&G, grille block, and route selection is pretty good...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
The thing with EOC is that you really need a manual transmission to do it. Doing it in an automatic can kill the transmission because some of the bearings need the pump to be running in order to feed them. I do a ton of EOC in the 5 speed Metro and it really does pay off. However, you do need to choose your moments and remember that you will have only 2 or 3 brake applications before it runs out of vacuum assist. You will also lose power steering. This isn't a problem in a manual steering Metro, but could be quite scary in a larger PS equipped vehicle if you do not pick your place carefully. You also will want to leave the key on and hold down the clutch and leave it in a gear that you can bump start from. In a Metro, that is 3rd or 4th. Any lower and it gives the drivetrain a nasty shock due to how the car is geared. As they say, your results may vary.
No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)
Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Jim-Bob -

I think the 1997 Ram is a manual. It was an option with that model. But maybe you are warning others that read this thread, yes?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
I didn't know if it was or wasn't but yeah I like to warn people of the dangers of certain techniques.
No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
The PRC.

B2B - thats a superb change, but the way to check is to reverse something and do A-B-A - albeit not scientific. e.g. remove the block and do a tank with new technique - you may find that has the most effect. Then add the block back and try again.

Pretty good though for something that weighs as much as a small welsh cottage
Old 02-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

This morning I got up to 18.5 again. I wish I could use the 5.2 engine configuation, but everyone says to use the 5.9 that the truck now has, even though the injectors, sensors, and PCM still think it is a 5.2...

Greenie is getting parked soon, I am going to bring the 1976 Dart Lite out of hiding, and get it dialed in properly. It got 18 before, with questionable carb, and normal driving techniques. Low 20's would be exciting, and I would be double the truck if I got the Dart to 30mpg.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Smooth Operator

Old Yellar - '79 MGB Tourer Drop-Hood Coupé
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.83 mpg (US)

Old Brown Ford - '91 Ford Bronco Custom

MAGNUM - '05 DODGE MAGNUM SXT
Time for an engine tune up
would look good with Full Moons
an excellent vehicle to restore
1976 Dart Lite

In response to increased interest in fuel economy, Dodge offered the "Dart Lite" fuel economy package which weighed at least 150 lb (68 kg) less than the ordinary Dart Sport.[30] The 225 Slant Six was the only available engine, equipped with an aluminum intake manifold for the first time since 1960 and a specially calibrated carburetor and distributor. Bumper reinforcement brackets were aluminum instead of steel, while the hood and trunk lid bracing and inner panels were also aluminum. The Slant Six engine block had already been modified for reduced weight in 1975; in the middle of 1976 production its crankshaft was changed from forged steel to lighter cast iron. The high-flow exhaust system included a dual-biscuit catalytic converter, a 2¼" headpipe, and the muffler used on V8 models. The Dart Lite was equipped with a 2.94:1 rear axle rather than the customary 3.21:1 ratio when the car was ordered with a three- or four-speed manual transmission. The A833OD overdrive 4-speed manual transmission housing was made of aluminum. Like all other Darts, the Dart Lites with automatic transmission came with a 2.76:1 rear axle as standard equipment.[30] The Dart Lite with manual transmission was rated by the EPA at 36 mpg (6.5 l/100km) in highway driving. The Plymouth version was the Feather Duster.
Dodge Dart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New Dart Lite Competes For Compact Economy Crown

Last edited by MGB=MPG; 02-23-2011 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: syntax
Old 02-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

That's my car, 'cept she is flat black right now. The tune is pretty fresh. The biggest obstacle, is mine got out with 2.94 gears and 3 speed non OD manual. She is an early model. I have a 4 speed OD in the garage, with another engine, that is going to go in this summer. I want to get her running as best I can with the straight 3 speed, and then move to the 4 speed OD. With their overly optimistic numbers, I don't think 36 is possible, but I would LOVE to see 30.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
The PRC.

This is a whole new approach to ecomodding only the Saudis could appreciate
Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
This is a whole new approach to ecomodding only the Saudis could appreciate
Care to clarify?

Reply  Post New Thread