Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Google bacteria and gasoline and the majority of the hits are about using bacteria to produce hydrocarbons. And here Fitch is trying to kill them. Sounds like Big Oil at work to me.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
May be a throw back to Bacteria growth in Diesel (Can be a legitimate problem, but usually is not) I don't know
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Recycling Nazi

Blue Bullet - '06 Honda Civic Sedan LX
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)
Arrow

Yes, I saw the Fitch Fuel Catalyst on TV ... probably a show on the Speed Channel.

Looks like pure BS to me. I don't understand how the fuel can be changed (or the catalyst would be used up in a tankful or two).

My guess is that all it does is filter the gas ... which is what your fuel filter is supposed to be doing.

Fuels that start in a gaseous form should burn more completely as they are pre-atomized. The problem comes with the size of the fuel tank/cell and the (lack of) ease in handling the fuel as it often has to be under significant pressure.

Yes, most cleaner-type products that advertise the ability to improve fuel economy are simply restoring some ability that has been lost due to fouling of the injectors, valves or other parts of the fuel system.

Very few claim enhancements over a clean engine ... but there are a few. Some of these are Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO), Lucas UCL, Schaeffer Soy Neutra 131C and a few others. These claim to increase the lubricity of the fuel which would reduce the parasitic drag of all engine parts that come into contact with fuel ... namely the piston rings.

I have used these and for a month-long run, found that MMO may have worked to increase mileage as much as 5% over 3-4 tankfuls. Have any old 2-cycle oil laying around? Try adding that to your fuel ... so that you end up with a 200-250:1 mix ratio.

Whenever I try these adds, I always give my engine a break after a few tankfuls in case and of this stuff is building up where it doesn't belong. For a quick cleanu-up, I use either Chevron Techron or Red Line Oil SI-1 in modest doses. No need to add more that 2 bottles of these powerful cleaners to your tank per 15,000 miles.

Something else to consider is simply switching to a thinner oil in the motor and trans to reduce hydrodynamic drag. Try a 5 or 0W-20 in the motor and Pennzoil Syncromesh in the manual transmission. Just be aware that these MAY accelerate wear ... though I have not seen proof of this, in cast just the opposite: UOAs (Used Oil Analysis) shows that 0W-20 protects very well ... even in motors calling for 5 and 10W-30.