Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2018, 11:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
There's probably a fair number of good income earners who might keep a cheap pickup at home, the way so many have done with Tacomas and previous Rangers for so long.
And most likely those who look at a so-called cheap pick-up as an option for a 2nd or 3rd vehicle of the household might prefer it to feature a well-proven, no-frills engine which can be fixed easily.

Quote:
Heck, even I'd tickle an $18k regular cab, simple four-banger stick Ranger if it came around. Oooh, or a regular cab, stick, shortbed stripper model with a 1.0 or 1.6 ecoboost. Or diesel? So many ideas, and so little seeming willingness from Ford.
I wouldn't hold my breath for a stick-shift new U.S.-spec Ranger and, even though I have already seen older compact trucks with 1.8L gassers I wouldn't expect anything below 2-litre to be fitted to the Ranger. When it comes to Diesel, even though the 3.2L straight-5 is already emissions-certified stateside, I wouldn't hold my breath for this option in the Ranger too. You know, even though it's presumably cheaper and less sophisticated than the 3.0L V6 turbodiesel offered to the F-150, most rednecks look at the displacement as a premium feature, and it would be quite weird to see a presumably "inferior" truck featuring a larger engine. It happens now here in Brazil where the F-350 is available with a 2.8L Cummins while the Ranger has the 3.2L on its higher-end version...

Quote:
Maybe a pickup Transit Connect or Ram Promaster might be a better concept for light-duty, household pickup work? Or a good wagon...
I have already seen an U.S.-spec Transit Connect with diplomatic plates in my hometown, presumably serving the local U.S. Consulate. In fact it's more of a replacement to the stereotypical soccer-mom minivan. But anyway, when it comes to the Ram Promaster, considering that Fiat offers platform-and-cab versions of the Doblò in Europe, it seems kinda surprising that it doesn't import those to the U.S. as a way to circumvent the Chicken Tax. I'm sure it would be cheaper to import the platform-and-chassis version to fit a locally-built cargo body instead of importing a passenger van to convert locally into a panel van like Ford does.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
And most likely those who look at a so-called cheap pick-up as an option for a 2nd or 3rd vehicle of the household might prefer it to feature a well-proven, no-frills engine which can be fixed easily.
I hadn't thought of that point, but that feels dead-on right. No muss, no fuss, just a little light duty work vehicle.

Quote:
I wouldn't hold my breath for a stick-shift new U.S.-spec Ranger and, even though I have already seen older compact trucks with 1.8L gassers I wouldn't expect anything below 2-litre to be fitted to the Ranger. When it comes to Diesel, even though the 3.2L straight-5 is already emissions-certified stateside, I wouldn't hold my breath for this option in the Ranger too. You know, even though it's presumably cheaper and less sophisticated than the 3.0L V6 turbodiesel offered to the F-150, most rednecks look at the displacement as a premium feature, and it would be quite weird to see a presumably "inferior" truck featuring a larger engine. It happens now here in Brazil where the F-350 is available with a 2.8L Cummins while the Ranger has the 3.2L on its higher-end version...
You're right in a lot of ways. I was dreaming more than living in reality, to be honest.

Quote:
I have already seen an U.S.-spec Transit Connect with diplomatic plates in my hometown, presumably serving the local U.S. Consulate. In fact it's more of a replacement to the stereotypical soccer-mom minivan. But anyway, when it comes to the Ram Promaster, considering that Fiat offers platform-and-cab versions of the Doblò in Europe, it seems kinda surprising that it doesn't import those to the U.S. as a way to circumvent the Chicken Tax. I'm sure it would be cheaper to import the platform-and-chassis version to fit a locally-built cargo body instead of importing a passenger van to convert locally into a panel van like Ford does.
That's info I didn't have and makes me suspect there's ample room for the little van-to-pickup idea here.

I honestly wonder if someone introduced a true compact pickup again, how it would do. The last of the breed died on the vine, and it seems like a zombie response to make them all "midsize" pickups now as a way to make them seem more appealing..

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 08-22-2018, 03:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
makes me suspect there's ample room for the little van-to-pickup idea here
There are some precedents south of the border
European Ford Courier

Brazilian:

Opel Combo

Brazilian Chevrolet Corsa pick-up

Reply  Post New Thread