Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Where to go from here?

I have a grillblock, got a vacuum gauge, coolant temp gauge and MPGuino (gauges aren't installed yet because they aren't here yet). I was thinking about a front air dam but I can't find anything that will just attach to the bumper and I don't have the technical knowledge or time to fabricate my own. I was also thinking of a kammback but again, no time or knowledge to fabricate one. What mods are available to me that won't require specific skills to do and won't break the bank?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
What I did to block my grill was to use PVC clear sheeting (like the kind that goes on table tops) from OSH that is like 1 dollar per foot. I stuffed it into the grill, and cut away with a utility knife and tucked stuff into cracks until it looked clean. If you can get at the inside of the bumper, you can tape PVC sheet behind the grille which is even easier.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
What I did to block my grill was to use PVC clear sheeting (like the kind that goes on table tops) from OSH that is like 1 dollar per foot. I stuffed it into the grill, and cut away with a utility knife and tucked stuff into cracks until it looked clean. If you can get at the inside of the bumper, you can tape PVC sheet behind the grille which is even easier.
I used a mudflap from a semi trailer to do my grill block. It's washable and easily removable/re-attachable. Here is how it looks:

I removed the upper part as my temp sensor is going out in my car, at least I think that's what it is. When I'm driving, regardless of the load, my temp gauge will fluxuate from fully cold (as if car has been sitting) to half way (normal temp). When it goes fully cold my heater gets so hot it will burn you if you put your hand in front of it. It was doing it before I put the grill block on it so I know that's not the problem.

Reply  Post New Thread