Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #41 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
If I were you I would not take out the reinforcement. Your part will be way to flexy unless you make it overly thick. Strength comes from having triangulated sections. Same goes if you have foam. You need section thickness for strength and light weight.

Nice design.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
MoToRNeCK --
Quote:
what kind of vehicle are you looking at having it done too?
Well, yours. That's why the picture is so generic.

Quote:
I would look at making it out something more flexible in case you bottom of the car out
That's why I specified rubberized belting or mudflap material. It could be closely fitted across the front of the U-shaped bracket and riveted down the sides. That way it would hold it's shape against the air pressure, but give way to those boulder sized rocks. Compare with that picture that sven7 posted.

Quote:
Im just a broke ass redneck with two many toys and want to get the most out of what i can
You and me both. I've got 'four many'.

Varn -- Oops, I left the word birdcage out of 'birdcage truss'. Bamboo is really rigid, but <1" pieces would have a little flexibility to allow gentle aero curves.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

oh ok i got it did you read my other post about the truck being lifted? think it would still work with it lifted?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The problem I see is that it would ideally be closer to horizontal than vertical. If it were at 45°, for every foot it sticks down you would need a foot in front of the tire. So it might work best in the back. In the front if there's any kind of air dam, you could start at the bottom of that.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

im wondering if insteady of making them in the shape of a u or if they end up being a u leaving the inside rail of the guard un attached the truck is supposed to end up with like 14 inches of wheel travel so they would be hitting the ground it would allow for more flexibility as well.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My thinking was to attach the two sides so it will hold the shape and leave the top/front unattached to allow more deformation. Like if the bracket was a square U and the mudflap was a rounded U.

Fastening it on three sides would stiffen it up.

14" of wheel travel = 7 up and 7 down? I'd try to cover about half of the 'down' and let the rest go.

Let us know how it works!
Old 08-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

it will be more along the lines of 6 up and 8 down its all about the drop keeping the wheels on the ground.

Reply  Post New Thread