Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I actually read more of the thread, and I don't think there is mention of cd and the downforce required to plant a vehicle at speeds over 100 mph, let alone 200. Granted, most of it may be bulky design, but some may be functional. Formula 1 cars have cds from 0.70 to 1.10 and have been known to crack the 200 mph mark. But, driving at 18,000 RPM with a naturally aspirated 2.4L V-8, won't get you to and from work more than a couple times before needing "significant maintenance".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
My wifes 05 Accord is limited to 145, with a few aero tweeks and removing the govoner it should be able to break 155 easy enough. Though I doubt you would seriously call it sporty even though it does pretty good.
Accords can be pretty sporty, actually. I rented one in 2007 and had a blast on some twisty pavement in Arkansas. An exerpt from a review I submitted in a past life (with a Mustang reference to keep it thread-worthy):

2007 Honda Accord Review Exerpt, Handling
Quote:
A similar sedan such as the Hyundai Sonata rolls into bends and screams from the tires as if to you warn you “back off already”. The Accord simply confesses that it's time to play, and off you go. In an un-efficient manner, the speed racer part of my personality gives-in, and the automatic is promptly taken out of "D" and speed is increased. In the first bend, much to my surprise, there was absolutely no body roll, tire slide, noise, vibration,
or anything -- just the intended track as dialed-in from the wheel. Push it even harder and the more you're rewarded. Keep the revs above 4000 and the traditional Honda note sings from under the hood and keeps you in the range of power to propel you out of the last 1/3 of every corner. Corners, by the way, which are rated at 30 mph are easily taken at a much faster velocity, in roadster-like fashion. What is going on here? Nevermind why -- where's the limit? I can't find it. Corner after corner, the Honda dove right in and stayed flat. Over tight hills, the suspension never became unsettled or "light". I'm afraid to say that I can't tell you if it tended to over- or understeer. I'd need more road for that conclusion. I hadn't had a smile on my face like that after driving a car since the Mustang! The penalty is a rougher ride compared to the base Camry (more Camry SE-like). After the road met the Interstate, it was life as usual, with the cruise set and the supportive seats doing their job well.
For reference:
2012 Honda Accord 4-Door: 2.4L I-4 (Auto-5, Manual-5) Both 23/34/27
...and qualifies for 25 or greater combined FE.

If this continues, we may need a new thread

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread