Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2021, 03:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Got any links to suggested products?
As far as I can tell, these are all the exact same product by the same manufacturer, the Kats 13150 aluminum circulating tank heater:

eBay $42

Tractor Supply $55

Napa Online $66

Amazon $116

Here's another one built by ZeroStart. I've always used the Kats heaters in the past but maybe I'll go with the ZeroStart since it's advertised as having a check valve, which is something the Kat's heaters don't have. I'm not sure if it has a pump, but some of the reviews claim it does. But the body looks like a percolating type heater, just like the Kat's heater:

Amazon $84

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2021, 09:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I looked up the stock thermostat for your engine and it's a 190F part - that is, it starts to open around 190F. I would not expect it to be fully open until around 205F, and the fan likely doesn't come on until at least 5F higher than that. I'd wager ideal operating temperature is ~200-210F, where the thermostat is fully open but the fan hasn't come on yet.

I block my grille completely in winter. On most days, my car still isn't fully warmed up by the time I get to work, but the grille block has a huge positive impact on economy. Occasionally my radiator fan comes on, on longer drives. While this wastes energy, the economy loss of a slower warmup outweighs the electrical cost of running the fan now and then.

I'd recommend a grille block, and to play around with the size until you find the point where your radiator fan isn't coming on *most* of the time under normal driving conditions. Attach it with something like zip ties, and keep a something in the car to remove it (scissors or w/e) in case you need to.

Edit:a kill switch is likely also low hanging fruit. The less efficient an engine is, the larger the gain from coasting without it running. I generally only use my kill switch when coasting down a long hill, but even ~60 seconds of coasting in a 20 minute drive can save a lot of fuel.

Reply  Post New Thread