Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

(click on it if you want the picture bigger)

There it is, I might have to trim it a bit. I wanted it lower, but for the street it already might be to low. Now I want to make something on it to direct air to the outside of the tires.

Mods. 2 inch exhaust with glass pack. some throttle body mods. cut up intake box.

Aero mods. Front air dam. wing delete.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
The PRC.

Looks neat, are you planning any grill blockage ?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks! I will probably block the bottom the two side fog light holes, though I might plan on using the left one as a ram air to my filter box. Only if I find some free tubing though haha.

Im going to leave the top and bottom grille open to feed in air for the radiator. I have gotten the temp needle in the red once, before this mod. Though I will cut up a election sign to fit in underneath the front of car to fill in a huge gap between the nose and radiator support. I do have to get air to this engine, I have an escape for hot air, so I need to keep cold air coming in.

Mods. 2 inch exhaust with glass pack. some throttle body mods. cut up intake box.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
that looks good i wouldn't go any lower than that. We got the same basic edging and mine is mounted back further and i still manage to scrape in some places. If you have to go up something like a parking deck ramp or anything take it slow and i mean slow. If i go slow enough i don't scrape in 99% of places. If u want to cover the tires im assuming you didn't use all of the edging you could just cut a small piece out of it and mount it right after the dam.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...4&d=1348612461

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Awesome! Yeah I have a lot left over, im going to do that today. Ok ill watch it and move slowly over bumps.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I let it scrape. Now, my Roush splitter or Roush front end, I don't let those scrape lol. But the 1.83 USD edging can scrape all day

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I let it scrape. Now, my Roush splitter or Roush front end, I don't let those scrape lol. But the 1.83 USD edging can scrape all day
the problem is if you let it scrape it can fold backwards in which lets air through. Yes mine folded backwards which has caused 2 problems : its perm. stuck slightly folded back, and the screws i used to mount it get ripped out while its folding back.
Those are the 2 reasons I'm putting a belly pan on and shortening the dam up to the belly pans heighth

I also wanted to ask when your car got into the red were you driving like a ba? With an open grill I've never heat problems no matter how i drove any of my cars 3 of 5 were fords the other 2 are GM. I know ohios a bit different then Florida, but it was in the dead heat of summer here

- Henry Ford
Old 10-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

When I got the needle into the red I drove about 40 minutes on the interstate, through a suburb, and then went through some slow red light traffic. I don't know how hot it was but had to be at least 85F and above, no wind. When I do long highway trips I usually don't get over halfway on the temp gauge. Ill monitor it, but im not expecting much of a change with the air dam.

Im not letting it scrape, it did once with no damage. Im just worried it will pull and break a zip tie or crack the holes. Mine does lean out a bit, that's no problem, better then folding in I guess, I always see trans am class cars with with there's coming out a bit... I imagine it leans in a bit more while driving.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

leaning outwards is good because the air is still diverted around the vehicle and when the wind pushes it, it would go straight up and down, maybe i'll take a pic of mine tomorrow but it leans inward towards the rear. Lawn edging is pretty strong so it shouldn't damage or have any problems with as many mounts as you have. the biggest problem is mainly when the middle sags back

- Henry Ford
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Optimum size for splitters is about 4" forward projection, or so I read somewhere.

Reply  Post New Thread