Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lightbulb Frontier Aerocap build

I think I am ready to take the plunge and build an aerocap for my pickup. I am using the design from the Silverado as a guide but making a few changes. I would like some advice on the design before I collect my materials. I plan on using 1/4" plywood and probably some 1/2" plywood I have around for support ribs. I would eventually like to cover that with fiberglass and take out the supports to make a clear line of site for a rear window out of lexan. This Nissan is exactly what I am going for. I am going to make a model on CAD so I can get the dimensions figured out. I have never worked with fiberglass. Any advice?? Material substitutions??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	McraeDakarAP_468x328.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	6371  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Cool! I look forward to your progress.

I sold my fiberglass cab-high topper and tonneau cover and will build something eventually. It will mix design elements already implemented by others with variations I have not seen done yet. Imagine Fuebeca's shape but with blend radius between top and sides increasing more starkly from front to rear. Imagine Bondo's front-hinged lid housing those contours so the sides are mostly flat. Imagine the back crowned and blended smoothly left-to-right and arched cleanly from cab in front to critical angle (22 deg?) in the rear. It will take a lot of time to design, build, test, refine and finish. But isn't that 90% of the fun? I expect mine will be light enough to un/load myself and $100 budget seems reasonable so far.

I'd love to hear more about your design goals with this project. Some of us have different requirements. Discussions seem most helpful with those boundaries are shared.

Cheers
KB
Old 07-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Belgium BOOGIE Frontier

Have you seen Sepp's Frontier custom cap?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Have you seen Sepp's Frontier custom cap?
No. It took a while (dial up painful, went to library for WiFi, just before they closed LOL) but I tracked it down. Both versions actually. Posting convenience links for others.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ocap-6889.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ocap-8155.html

Nice but the roof-to-side radius still looks sharp to me. I'm thinking cab match at front (1-2" in my case) increased to 6-9" for back, lower half. Whatever critical angle at the tailgate dictates. That way wind can flow either way with less edge corner impediment.

Cheers
KB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KamperBob For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-19-2010), bike4miles (07-17-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
No. It took a while (dial up painful, went to library for WiFi, just before they closed LOL) but I tracked it down. Both versions actually. Posting convenience links for others.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ocap-6889.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ocap-8155.html

Nice but the roof-to-side radius still looks sharp to me. I'm thinking cab match at front (1-2" in my case) increased to 6-9" for back, lower half. Whatever critical angle at the tailgate dictates. That way wind can flow either way with less edge corner impediment.

Cheers
KB
Wow, thanks! That helps a ton! I now know that for this truck I don't want to slope all the way down to the tailgate. That's good, it will give me more holding capacity anyway. I was looking at different materials on Mcmaster and found polycarbonate is fairly inexpensive. Don't know if it is flexible enough to form the rear window on the curve though. The fiberglass looks far too labor intensive and it is quite expensive too so I don't think I want to go that rout. Sepp is getting 29 MPG (with lifted suspension!), That is what I am hopping for. With the cap, some front end mods, belly pan, and roll pan in the back to replace the bumper I think I can hit that. Tried out the vacuum gauge today and realized all the mistakes I have been making in my driving.

Reply  Post New Thread